[SOLVED] Help, Fake GPU victim. is upgrading to GT1030 worth it?

Nov 28, 2020
It was my birthday at August, my parents let me order a gt 730 online for 31$, and recieved in 6days. Installed it and tried some Valorant and Minecraft, in Valorant it crashes randomly or when I look around too fast, in MC it just works fine, I was wondering why it crashes maybe i just installed a wrong driver (391.35) but i figured out that the GT 730 was a fake (GT 520M) I wasn't that full of knowledge about Computer stuff yet so I just think its just me did something wrong on installing drivers. I can't return cuz it wont let me ok.

Until I've researched and learned everything in September and just banged my head and died inside, now I plan to get a GT1030 this Christmas (Inno3D GT 1030) It's 67$, just wanna know what will the PC Gods out there say if its worth it or not to upgrade from GT520M to GT1030..?

Im new pls.

Specs:
Dell Optiplex 780 SFF (So I still have to go with LP gpus)
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500
GPU : (FAKE) GT 730 ((N12P-GV-B-A1))
RAM : 4GB DDR3
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Most games are graphics limited.
Updating the graphics was a good idea.
$31 was a decent price for the experience you got.
If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Your graphics upgrade options will be limited by two factors.

1. Space. You have correctly determined that you need a low profile or low profile ready card to physically fit.

2. Power. OEM builds will include a power supply that is only capable of running the initially installed components.
Likely your psu is in the 250W range without any aux 6 pin power leads.
Any graphics card you buy will be powered only by the pcie slot which is limited to 75w.
The $100 GT1030 fits that nicely. There are two versions, using DDR4 or DDR5 ram. The DDR4 runs at...

DSzymborski

Titan
It was my birthday at August, my parents let me order a gt 730 online for 31$, and recieved in 6days. Installed it and tried some Valorant and Minecraft, in Valorant it crashes randomly or when I look around too fast, in MC it just works fine, I was wondering why it crashes maybe i just installed a wrong driver (391.35) but i figured out that the GT 730 was a fake (GT 520M) I wasn't that full of knowledge about Computer stuff yet so I just think its just me did something wrong on installing drivers. I can't return cuz it wont let me ok.

Until I've researched and learned everything in September and just banged my head and died inside, now I plan to get a GT1030 this Christmas (Inno3D GT 1030) It's 67$, just wanna know what will the PC Gods out there say if its worth it or not to upgrade from GT520M to GT1030..?

Im new pls.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro

Your GPU can't be a GT 520M since that's a laptop GPU. However, even a GT 1030 would be a massive upgrade over a real GT 730, which was never really a gaming GPU, whereas a 1030 is a base, entry-level one.

You do have to understand though that even with a GT 1030, you will need to keep your expectations realistic. You have a 10-year-old office PC and there's a real ceiling for performance because the parts are largely obsolete. You'll squeeze out a bit more performance in casual games and really old AAA titles at low settings, but just make sure you don't expect to be playing recent Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty games or Cyberpunk 2077 or anything.

Nov 28, 2020
Just for some 24/7 Genshin Impact, my current fps there is 55 at Lowest (0.6 Res). but thanks, i knew it that the (optiplex) is the laughing stock here. About the laptop gpu thing, I even opened up its heat sink and it says n12p gv b a1 and the search result says its gt 520m lol, but thanks again

Reactions: spentshells

1. Space. You have correctly determined that you need a low profile or low profile ready card to physically fit.

2. Power. OEM builds will include a power supply that is only capable of running the initially installed components.
Any graphics card you buy will be powered only by the pcie slot which is limited to 75w.
The $100 GT1030 fits that nicely. There are two versions, using DDR4 or DDR5 ram. The DDR4 runs at 20w, the DDR5 version at 30w. Either is ok.
Your strongest upgrade without needing extra power is a standard low profile GTX1050ti. About $150.

One way to check on performance is to look up the passmark ratings.
The passmark rating for the GT 520M is 276:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+520M&id=70
By comparison, the GT1030 30w version is 2623.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+1030&id=3757

GTX1050ti passmark is 6374.
While your cpu may be limiting, a good discrete graphics card can be carried forward to a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.

Solution

Im new pls.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro

If you can, your PC is in desperate need of more RAM; even just booting windows and opening a web browser is going to max out your RAM.

Nov 28, 2020

The $100 GT1030 fits that nicely. There are two versions, using DDR4 or DDR5 ram. The DDR4 runs at 20w, the DDR5 version at 30w. Either is ok.
Your strongest upgrade without needing extra power is a standard low profile GTX1050ti. About $150.

One way to check on performance is to look up the passmark ratings.
The passmark rating for the GT 520M is 276:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+520M&id=70
By comparison, the GT1030 30w version is 2623.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+1030&id=3757

GTX1050ti passmark is 6374.
While your cpu may be limiting, a good discrete graphics card can be carried forward to a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.

I passed 1 and 2 I chose this Inno3D GT1030 low profile (Passive Cooled 0db) just 67$ (3250PHP) it's low profile and fit to my case and doesnt need any power or wiring thing from Power supply and i have an extra pc fan here changed it from 4pin wire to USB wire i can just put it inside the case facing to the gpu heatsink, now i just have to wait Christmas.

The thing ive been really worrying about when i upgrade gpu is the thing called bottleneck, I wonder if it will "bottleneck?" the Q9500+GT1030 low profile..?

Not to worry.
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Games are limited by the cpu or the gpu.
I think you are relatively balanced and will be pleased.

Reactions: Lee-Am
Nov 28, 2020
A Yeston RX 550 is also an option for this system, and will be slightly faster. You can find them on ebay. They are low profile, with lavender colored coolers, and are single slot.
Yeah that was an awesome gpu i saw online along with the inno3D but its 35$-40$ more (93$(4500PHP)) I can only choose at 50 - 65$