Help figuring out horrible sound in games/videos

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi,

This is my system.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZK9nTB

I don't know if the issue is with my current speakers which I bought cheaply from Walmart or if it's the built in sound from the MOBO. It happens with multiple games, but the one that comes to mind is when I'm playing Space Engineers and I'm standing outside near atmospearic thrusters I get this horrible sound out of my speaks. So I am not sure if it's the speakers or sound card.

Is the issue with the speakers or sound card? Is there a way to figure out what is the cause?

Solution
Cheap speakers may not have frequency range to sound any good when required and some games have very elaborate multi channel sound. That MB has pretty good 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports Purity Sound™ 3 & DTS Connect so it shouldn't be the problem. Make sure you have proper drivers for it.
Cheap speakers may not have frequency range to sound any good when required and some games have very elaborate multi channel sound. That MB has pretty good 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports Purity Sound™ 3 & DTS Connect so it shouldn't be the problem. Make sure you have proper drivers for it.

Solution

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
My monitor doesn't have speakers, but from what you two are saying, I'll just get a new set of speakers. These are several years old ($+) and probably don't have the range.

Thanks for your replies you two.