• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Help figuring what PSU would be better

Jul 14, 2020
Hi. I've been looking for a good/cheap PSU available on my country, and the 4 options that seemed to be the best ones available were the Corsair VS650, CV650 and the Cooler Master MWE Bronze 650w, MWE V2 Bronze 650w. However, I heard some bad things about the VS series, and I wasn't able to find anything about the CV650, nor about the MWE V2 Bronze.. however I found a test for the MWE Bronze 550 and it seemed to be good.. I really need help, i'll buy my mobo and my psu this week

DSzymborski

Champion
Depends what era the VS comes from. If it has gray-and-black branding, it's an OK entry-level PSU for light rigs. If it has orange letters, I'd stay away.

I'd probably prefer the modern VS to any bronze-rated Cooler MWE, but it really depends on the rig. If this is something with at least a 1660 or better (Nvidia) or an RX 470 or better (AMD), I would not consider either of these appropriate. Nor would either be appropriate if you have an old, but power-hungry GPU like a 7970.

In other words, it's hard to give advice about powering something without being actually given the details about the something.

Jul 14, 2020
Well, i'm getting a B450M Steel Legend, I have a Ryzen 5 2600, I have a GTX 750 Ti but I plan on getting something between a GTX 1660 and a RTX 2070 asap, 8gbs of ram but i'll upgrade to 16gbs asap too..
And yeah, the VS is gray and black, however i just noticed it's 80 plus white and not bronze .-.

DSzymborski

Champion
I was about to get a CX650, but there were those recent problems with lots of CX650s.. plus it's not available anymore :/
They're definitely better than either of these. Where are you located? You're definitely in the zone where you shouldn't be going entry-level with the PSU. When the budget's tight and you're using a GT 1030 or something, it's understandable. But when you're looking at $400-$500 GPU, the time comes to sacrifice some fun for safety.

Jul 14, 2020
They're definitely better than either of these. Where are you located? You're definitely in the zone where you shouldn't be going entry-level with the PSU. When the budget's tight and you're using a GT 1030 or something, it's understandable. But when you're looking at $400-$500 GPU, the time comes to sacrifice some fun for safety.
I live in Brazil.. and well, things here are getting more and more expensive after each day.. if I could, i'd get something better, but the price jump between the PSUs i can afford rn and a (seems to be) better PSU is very big, and there are many good brands that aren't available here.. I couldn't find any SuperFlower, BeQuiet nor Seasonic PSUs around here

DSzymborski

Champion
I live in Brazil.. and well, things here are getting more and more expensive after each day.. if I could, i'd get something better, but the price jump between the PSUs i can afford rn and a (seems to be) better PSU is very big, and there are many good brands that aren't available here.. I couldn't find any SuperFlower, BeQuiet nor Seasonic PSUs around here
Do you have a link to a store that you're using? Clearly they have Corsair products at least and they make a ton of PSUs I'd use with any GPU.

Jul 14, 2020
Yup. The RTX 2070 is a <200W GPU. The only problem would be if you wanted to start running a 3080 Ti, which is rumored to be a >300W GPU, but if you were buying that, you'd probably have the budget to pay the differential to move up even farther!
I'll see if I can buy it then.. it will take some time til i get the gpu anyway. Well, thank you for the help c:

ASK THE COMMUNITY