Question Help finding a CPU cooler replacement HP

Jun 9, 2019
Hello, I have a prebuilt HP Omen 880-160se, tampa2 motherboard with an i7-8700k, (not terribly efficient I know) and I need to replace a failing 120mm AIO liquid cpu cooler. I'm having difficulty identifying what will actually fit/be compatible as there's pretty limited space and a hot processor, can anyone recommend a cooler that is likely to function and fit? Ideally I'm looking for something quieter if possible, and switching to air would be perfectly fine if it were to fit. Thank you.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Hello, I have a prebuilt HP Omen 880-160se, tampa2 motherboard with an i7-8700k, (not terribly efficient I know) and I need to replace a failing 120mm AIO liquid cpu cooler. I'm having difficulty identifying what will actually fit/be compatible as there's pretty limited space and a hot processor, can anyone recommend a cooler that is likely to function and fit? Ideally I'm looking for something quieter if possible, and switching to air would be perfectly fine if it were to fit. Thank you.
HP has a nonstandard cpu backplate that is not removable and will most likely give you issues with installing air coolers. Even though it looks like there's room for 2 x 120mm fans up front, unless the drive cages and stuff are removable and the hole spacing for the two fan mounts are 15mm apart you can't use a 240mm AIO up front. You're either going to have to get an air cooler to try for yourself and make sure there's a good return policy or just get another 120mm AIO. Pretty much all AIOs are made by Asetek(because they're patent trolls) regardless of what brand it's from so any AIO you get would essentially be identical to what you already have. My only worry is that the hole spacing or threading is different for the block mount. If the hole spacing is the same then most likely you can just reuse the screws that are on your stock cooler even if the threading isn't standard.