Help finding a monitor!

DeaD_AiM

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm searching for a new primary monitor, thought it was about time now that I have a better PC setup (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hkPRhq). I was looking for something that has 1-3 ms, atleast 144hz and maybe includes G-sync. Budget is no problem!

Thanks in advance!

Brian

P.S.

I saw something like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR but I don't know if I would be able to run games at that resolution on high/ultra graphics for a long period of time with my PC.

Solution
Easily. You won't get max settings in all titles with 100+ FPS, but it will still be quite good.

PG279Q 4ms AVHA (IPS like) display 144hx (165hz) - The overclocked settings tend to re-introduce input lag and ghosting, they are best run at 144hz.

PG278Q 1ms TN 144hz - Older G-sync 1.0 module, but nearly $100 cheaper if you can find one.

PG278QR (This one is new to me, not sure what eye care means, probably just the filter on the panel) but I assume it has the same G-Sync 2.0 module and the newer AU Optronics panels that support the 165hz

Acer XB270HU and XB271HU are the Acer equivalents to the PG279Q (First one has G-sync 1.0, second has 2.0)

The Dell version is also TN if I recall.

After that there are the 100hz 3440x1440...

PleaseReheat

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Hi! I have a similar monitor like the ASUS one your looking at mine is a Dell S2417DG it's a 1440p 165hz monitor and I can run most games well on it with mid to high settings on my GTX 970 (slightly OC'd) so a 1080 shouldn't have a problem running it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Easily. You won't get max settings in all titles with 100+ FPS, but it will still be quite good.

PG279Q 4ms AVHA (IPS like) display 144hx (165hz) - The overclocked settings tend to re-introduce input lag and ghosting, they are best run at 144hz.

PG278Q 1ms TN 144hz - Older G-sync 1.0 module, but nearly $100 cheaper if you can find one.

PG278QR (This one is new to me, not sure what eye care means, probably just the filter on the panel) but I assume it has the same G-Sync 2.0 module and the newer AU Optronics panels that support the 165hz

Acer XB270HU and XB271HU are the Acer equivalents to the PG279Q (First one has G-sync 1.0, second has 2.0)

The Dell version is also TN if I recall.

After that there are the 100hz 3440x1440 monitors, or 4K at 60hz.

I have a GTX1080 and a PG279Q, I get 90+ FPS in the latest games and very high frame rates in slightly older games. You can reduce settings to achieve the higher frame rates, but I am lazy, and just run everything at or near max.

Solution

DeaD_AiM

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
But as said, I would like one with around 144hz and I don't really need a 4k monitor xD And since I play a lot of FPS/fast games, I think i'ts better if I get a TN screen. IPS is more expensive too right? I'm really fond of the ASUS one but I don't know, I'm not sure. Need something for the long run. And does the difference in ms between the ASUS and the Acer really make that much of a difference? (1-4 ms)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
From a realistic perspective, no, it really doesn't make a significant difference. Human reaction times are much greater, coupled with network lag and all the other factors, it might provide a slight advantage, but player skill and strategy account for more I would guess.

When you are looking at G-Sync monitors, well, they are already very expensive so adding AVHA on top of the cost isn't hugely significant. You'll get better colors and viewing angles, with some sacrifice in color uniformity (usually at the edges)

When the PG279Q was new, it was the monitor to have. Even with the 4ms response time its input lag was significantly better than the competition. It was the first monitor to offer the G-Sync 2.0 module (the one with an additional HDMI input). Now there are several models with it, including the one you linked. So a TN panel with that module is probably going to be the best for fast-paced gaming. But if that is the goal, then you shouldn't be looking at G-Sync at all.

A standard 144hz monitor will be better if you don't use any syncing. That results in the minimum of input lag.

G-Sync and Free Sync really are just for getting rid of tearing. And it does a good job of that, which makes it great for games you can't run as fast as the monitor can go. When you can run as fast as the monitor will go, then G-sync makes no sense and you should employ ULMB to reduce ghosting as much as possible.

I like the concept of a G-sync monitor because it means smooth gameplay no matter how well the game runs (within reason). Though in fast paced games I must say it does introduce a bit of a problem, in that you don't have a consistent experience as FPS fluctuates with action.