Help finding a new video card for a non gamer…..

YZFBossman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I’m picking up a new LCD monitor and need to find a new video card with DVI out.

Here is my situation:

Use: No gaming (at least nothing new), general use, and a lot of 2D picture editing. (PS CS2)
Computer: dell 4550 P4 @ 2.5MHz (about 3yrs old)
Slot: AGP 4x (1.5v)
Current card: 64mg GeForce 4 MX 420

I need a DVI connection for the LCD.

I’d also like to have the option for dual monitors in the future. (or sooner if I can :D )

I searched newegg but got a little lost…

Can I use the 8x cards in my 4x slot??

Any suggestions for this non gamer?

And suggestions on where to buy too.

Thanks for your help!!!

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
I have only opened up a couple dells, but the ones I opened did not have a standard motherboard/backplane, but had a daughter card. (I just fixed my grandsons computer last week and it did not even have an AGP slot).

You are fortunate to havee the AGP slot. But is it full height?

I doubt you will have a 4x/8x problem, any card should adapt.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
As a "semi-gamer" myself, I cannot believe I'm recommending this card, but--well, you aren't a big gamer. For your specific needs, I'd recommend a GeForce FX 5200. Yes, AGP 8X cards are fine with AGP 4X slots. Of course they only run at 4X speed but with this card there is no difference.

Dual monitors--meaning dual DVI or DVI and CRT?

If CRT and DVI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164024

By the way, what's the service tag? I might can fix you up, being a former dell support guy and knowing the 4550 system quite well :)

Also consider this if you want to have the flexibility of going dual-dvi, dual-crt, or just one dvi or one crt. DMS 59 rules, and the DELL FX5200 seems to be the only brand that has that DMS 59 connector on the back (see here for connector info).
cable1.jpg
cable2.jpg

YZFBossman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
As a "semi-gamer" myself, I cannot believe I'm recommending this card, but--well, you aren't a big gamer. For your specific needs, I'd recommend a GeForce FX 5200. Yes, AGP 8X cards are fine with AGP 4X slots. Of course they only run at 4X speed but with this card there is no difference.

Good news. Thanks

Dual monitors--meaning dual DVI or DVI and CRT?

DVI & CRT for now but I like the flexability that the dell card you mentioned offers. And only $65 - nice.

By the way, what's the service tag? I might can fix you up, being a former dell support guy and knowing the 4550 system quite well :)

tag = 95QGR21

Any fix up you can offer would be great!! 8)

Thanks for all the help!!!!! :D

cleeve

Illustrious
For image editing, I'd recommend an Ati card - they generally are considered to have better 2d display quality than their Nvidia counterparts.

A Radeon 9200/9250 should offer nice dual diaplay options, just make sure the model you get has two video outs (at least one DVI).

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
For image editing, I'd recommend an Ati card - they generally are considered to have better 2d display quality than their Nvidia counterparts.

Thanks Cleeve, good to know.

Hmmm...yeah, go with cleeve on this one, he's the video card guy. Just steer clear of the X1000 series as they are too power hungry for the old 4550 to handle.