Question Help finding an external case for my SSD hard drive

rsn.mk1

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Hi, I need help finding an external case (usb enclosure) for my SSD hard drive.

I've seen lots of them that look right (under 10/15 dollars) but I don't want to waste money and time and need to be sure.

The SSD is a western digital unit and has PCIe and NVMe in the label. Also m+b keys. Can anyone point a link on ebay or amazon, preferably in Europe, where to buy an external case for this that will work?

Here's a picture of the drive.

20200206_200019.jpg

Thanks

The SN520 is a x2 PCIe 3.0 drive and therefore has B+M keying like M.2 SATA drives, but of course it's NVMe. Any enclosure will work because the vast majority of M.2-to-USB (PCIe) bridge chips are x2 internally. Example here. You'd be looking for one with one of the following bridge chips: JMicron JMS583 (as with the linked M2X), ASMedia ASM2362, or Realtek RTL9210. These are generally all 10 Gbps, although the RTL9210 would be the fastest since it has less encoding overhead.

rsn.mk1

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Ok, thanks. Final question:

My ssd seems to be M+B key.

Most nvme/pcie enclusures state they support M key and do not say anything about M+B.
Only a very small number (expensive ones) state nvme M+B key.

A quick google search tells me nvme is M key.

So... this is confusing. Should I really buy one that says to support nvme M+B key; or is my ssd 'physically out of standard' (but working as an M key) and the expensive enclosures stating M+B key is just for advertising purposes (for cases like mine who don't know what to buy).

Hope this makes sense. Just trying to avoid buying something that doesn't work.