Question Help finding correct power supply

May 6, 2021
I think I need a new power supply as my machine won’t turn on. The old one has 2 connectors to the main board - the obvious 1x24 and the other is a 2x2 square. Can someone please send a link to an inexpensive power supply?

Thank you!

May 6, 2021
I don’t know. It’s an older hp pavilion - I took a picture of the barcode on the main board but don’t know how to attach a picture to this message. I know the cpu is an amd phenom II 960t.

May 6, 2021
It’s a 550 watt atx switching power supply. I bought an atx 550w psu but it doesn’t have the 2x2 connector I mentioned - the one I bought has all the cables hard wired to it. I need a modular one I guess but don’t want to spend a lot of money.

May 6, 2021
I took it apart so will try it later. Does it matter which half of the 8 pin I use?

also if you plug in a psu and turn it on out of the box and not connected to computer would it turn on?

I took it apart so will try it later. Does it matter which half of the 8 pin I use?

also if you plug in a psu and turn it on out of the box and not connected to computer would it turn on?
Cables and ports are keyed to only fit one way; do not force anything.
There is a latch on the psu cable that should match the latch on the motherboard 4 pin connector.
The 8 pin will fit on one side or the other.

What would be your objective in plugging in a psu when it is not connected to anything?
It will be in standby mode, but that tells you nothing.
Do not bother with a cheap psu tester.
They can only confirm a dead psu, but will say nothing about proper operation.

What is the make/model of your 550w psu?
If it is a cheap unit, you may want to return it.
A cheap psu can be dangerous.