[SOLVED] Help Finding Graphics Card for my Desktop

Feb 24, 2020
Hi all,

I bought an HP Pavilion 500-314 (https://www.newegg.com/hp-pavilion-500-314/p/N82E16883281171) a few years ago because at the time i didn't have a functional computer, and needed something for school. It was on a wicked sale and it fit my needs at the time. I am a big gamer, playing mostly on consoles. However "back in my day" i played exclusively on PC and have a nice Steam library of older games i used to play. That said, my desktop isn't able to keep up with the games i used to play (not all of them) and i figure maybe i can upgrade my graphics card and be able to do this.

The games it has a hard time with are laughably older like Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2, even Titan Quest. (without the patch which ups the graphics). Again i focus mostly on PS4 and Nintendo Switch for gaming so i am not seeking to play new games like Assassin's Creed, or GTA 5 here. It would be nice if it can handle titles from this previous generation, but not the focus. (not even sure if that is a reasonable thing to consider)

Can anyone advise on a graphics card that is not only compatible with my system but will get the job done? Id like to not spend more than a couple hundred bucks. Not sure if that is reasonable and aside from this potential upgrade, i am not looking to upgrade my PC beyond this (I would just buy a new one at that point).

Any suggestions? Please see the New Egg link above for the specs. Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Hi all,

I bought an HP Pavilion 500-314 (https://www.newegg.com/hp-pavilion-500-314/p/N82E16883281171) [...]
Can anyone advise on a graphics card that is not only compatible with my system but will get the job done?
This is ancient. And it won't handle much graphical power if at all. I would get a new cheap PC instead. Personally I'd build myself a little box with a B450-based motherboard, a Ryzen 3400G, a 1Tb SSD bootdisk and 16Gb of RAM; I may even put it inside the HP case, probably swapping the PSU too (but not necessary). Then I'd get the HDD from that old PC in a USB enclosure, connect it to my ISP's DSL box as network storage and put backups, movies etc. on it.

Feb 24, 2020
Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback. Anyone have any suggestions for a Computer build? I am not looking to spend a whole lot, probably around $650 MAX, but would prefer less if that isn't being too cheap. I am NOT looking for it to run next gen games, but previous gen and earlier, so i am hoping this isn't too much of a stretch in terms of funds.

I am familiar with computer hardware, but i have never been able to understand how to properly match hardware for compatibility and efficiency. If anyone has any guides or good resources i can review i am happy to look myself. I have been reviewing online for this information but perhaps i am looking in the wrong locations. Otherwise if you have any suggestions of potential setups i would be very appreciative.

Mitch: You mentioned the parts in your reply. Any specific components that you have in mind?

My advice is always different than others on this. But a Dell T3500 workstation with one of the unlocked Xeons can be had cheap, and overclocked easily. The standard PSU with a 6 to 8 pin adapter can handle the power of a GTX1070.
T3500, W3680 Xeon, 12GB RAM. These have been built for under $150.
6C/12T 4.1Ghz, triple channel DDR3-1333 memory.
X5687 is a 4C/8T 3.89Ghz turbo speed CPU as is. No overclocking option but good as is.
Here's a thread for this.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-overclocking-desktop-pcs.235975/

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback. Anyone have any suggestions for a Computer build? I am not looking to spend a whole lot, probably around $650 MAX, but would prefer less if that isn't being too cheap. I am NOT looking for it to run next gen games, but previous gen and earlier, so i am hoping this isn't too much of a stretch in terms of funds.

I am familiar with computer hardware, but i have never been able to understand how to properly match hardware for compatibility and efficiency. If anyone has any guides or good resources i can review i am happy to look myself. I have been reviewing online for this information but perhaps i am looking in the wrong locations. Otherwise if you have any suggestions of potential setups i would be very appreciative.

Mitch: You mentioned the parts in your reply. Any specific components that you have in mind?

Well, to start with, what are you carrying over? Mouse, keyboard, monitor? Did you use a Retail license for Windows (transferable), or did Windows come with it (thus OEM, and not transferable). Need to know if a Windows 10 license needs to be accounted for.

If you have an existing monitor you plan to keep, what are its specs? Resolution, refresh rate, and if it has FreeSync, GSync, or neither.

Knowing this info, ESPECIALLY the monitor specs, will help us in choosing parts - for example, you need a MUCH more powerful video card to run 1080p @ 144 fps, or, say, 4K @ 60fps, than you do running on a 720p monitor.

Hi all,

Ryzen 3400G, Asrock B450M Pro4-F, Corsair LPX 3200 2x8Gb, and whatever NVMe or SATA M.2 drive you can afford. I just built half a dozen of these for a project, and they're running like champs off of old SFF 180W PSUs.

Reactions: sgsharkie