Help.. First Build doesn't boot with HDD. BIOS?

Jose Costa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Good Afternoon everyone!

I am in need of some help here. Hope I don't explain too much or too little as it's my first time writing.

So, I just finished my first ever build from scratch (only modified retail Desktops until now) and I find myself in a little problem.

I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly yet when I was turning it on the TUF logo came up with the "press delete for UEFI BIOS" message but never left. Also there was no beeps from the motherboard whatsoever. Still haven't heard a single beep until now and already booted 4 times.

I then proceeded to diagnose the problem. 2 Hours later it booted when my 2nd HDD SATA cable was disconnected before hand.

My problem is: I can't boot with the HDD connected, be it to BIOS or OS, or connect it through Hot Plug and have it appear anywhere (tried My Computer, Disk Manager and Device Manager). It does however start to spin connected this way but then stops ~1.5 seconds later.

Please try to help me or provide some guidance/knowledge that could help me look somewhere different. I did not back up my 2nd HDD, only the SSD. Won't do that mistake again, although I still don't see why this could be happening.

What changed (That I know and besides components):

- Windows install was made using Sysprep command on my SSD since I lost my Windows 8 CD;
- UEFI Bios now appears due to the new Mobo (already tried legacy and mixed mode as at fisrt I believed the Bios was the problem. Don't know anymore. Not sure if the changed ever occurred though, as through msinfo32 it says UEFI in the Bios Mode).

System Specs:

- Corsair Graphite 230T Case With 3 bundled fans plus 1 coolermaster 120mm from old PC;
- Motherboard ASUS TUF Z77 Sabertooth;
- Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Quad-Core Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz);
- 16Gb of Ram DDR3 1600 (some cheap ones, checked and they seem to be running like new);
- SSD Intel 520 (240Gb);
- WD Caviar Green 2Tb from Old PC(Mdl: WD20EARS-60MVWB0);
- ASUS GeForce® GTX 760 DirectCU II;
- PSU: Corsair CX600.

Solution
To Clarify:

OS installed on SSD. HDD for storage only.

SSD passed configurations and files through Sysprep command that initiated Windows 8 setup on first power-up. After setting up everything, including an account, I logged out and my old account was present where, after Login, all my files and settings were still intact and undamaged. Problem was I couldn't pass the TUF logo screen (where you activate Bios access) until I disconnected the HDD from the motherboard. It also won't appear using Hot Plug while inside OS (in either Disk Manager, Device Manager or My Computer)

Both Drives were two hours earlier on my old Desktop working fine. HDD is WD Green 2Tb and DID come with the retailed PC. SSD was there for about a month on test...

Jose Costa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Not an option, long gone. Also the instal seemed to work just fine. I could try to use windows 8 option of reinstalling but am afraid it fails and then I won't have anything at all

Jose Costa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

No, fresh build. I did add some hardware from it though, like the HDD (written in my system specs) and CD/Dvd Drive.
SSD was also in it, but only for a month. All were working fine though.

Jose Costa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

I don't have the money =/ Is a fresh install going to solve this for sure even? What makes you say this?
It seems more like a UEFI Bios or HDD problem to me. I don't see how the OS is involved in Pre-Bios or Post running. It doesn't even go into Bios with the HDD connected to Mobo so..

Jose Costa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
To Clarify:

OS installed on SSD. HDD for storage only.

SSD passed configurations and files through Sysprep command that initiated Windows 8 setup on first power-up. After setting up everything, including an account, I logged out and my old account was present where, after Login, all my files and settings were still intact and undamaged. Problem was I couldn't pass the TUF logo screen (where you activate Bios access) until I disconnected the HDD from the motherboard. It also won't appear using Hot Plug while inside OS (in either Disk Manager, Device Manager or My Computer)

Both Drives were two hours earlier on my old Desktop working fine. HDD is WD Green 2Tb and DID come with the retailed PC. SSD was there for about a month on test.

Thank you in advance. I am trying to test the HDD in someone else's PC.

Would a broken HDD stop computer from successful boot though? Be it Bios boot or OS? Never saw that happening.
Would the UEFI Bios conflict with it in anyway? Never used one nor understand much about Bios besides the basic.

Hope that helps understanding my problem better.

P.S. Fresh install is not an option at this point, nor do I believe it would solve the issue.

Solution