[SOLVED] Help first pc build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gallagher111

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
My old pc recently died, ipibl-la mobo, q6600 gtx 750 ddr2... Ancient i know
So around comes the task of building a low budget pc before i go crazy, i've done some research and think i have everything down and was hoping someone could cross check what parts im about to order before i regret anything. I know this stuff is still outdated so no 'better saving etc' please :)

So parts i plan to order are as follows;
Asrock z77 pro4 motherboard
Intel i5 3550 - Cpu
Aerocool cylon 500w (the 400w version i suspect might be enough-my old psu was 300w) Psu (pretty sure i have the right thing, 24pin+8
Ionz k706 black case blue led fan
Arctic alpine 12 cpu fan
And some cheap ram ddr3 1600mhz

My old hardrives hopefukly didnt fry and same with gtx 750 so i'll carry those over
As i said ive done what research i can, i dont think im missing anything but it'd be much appreciated if somone with more experience than myself can cross check incase i missed some incompatibilities or let me know if i've missed anything for this build in general
(edit) also ik the psu comes with all the power connectors but are there any others i nee seperately like cables to front case etc?

Last edited:
Solution
Check a detail or two. The Amazon.co.uk page I found for the ionz KZ06 case (NOT K7...) show it has space for four fans, BUT does NOT include any, even though it is illustrated with LED fans. I'm not sure whether that is the right case - you say yours DOES include one blue case fan.

Just to help understand fans and lights. The popular lighted fans these days come in two different designs: plain RGB that uses a 4-pin header with a 12 VDC power line, and the more complex Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB type that uses a 3-pin header and a 5 VDC power line and a VERY different display control design. Each design is capable of MANY colours in various display patterns. Both of these really amount to two devices in one unit: a fan, and a...

gallagher111

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Ive spent a few hours on gaming etc, temps are great so far, hasnt been under any extreme long stress as of yet but gpu/cpu temps havent hit over 40celsius yet, ill try run some stress tests thr next few days, but vics logoc is good, have the back fan run on the other channel so it can line with cpu fan and speed up when necessarry, ill be sure to re-arrange that next time im in.

As the the system panel header goes, that are all already full with reset, power, hdled etc. Only the dummy pin is free, im not even sure the 2pin female cinnector can even reach the mobo tbh. Ill be sure to try get some images on here somehown tomorrow when i have some free time to clearer show,and in regards vic to the 750 yeah the gpu, its wierd indeed, the top pciex16 slot is like the opposite way to the lower pciex16 asif rotated 180degrees, will also try get picture xD
Although thats no problem as i said the tmps have been very low so dar so i dont think it will even be an issue.

So again thanks, i will swap those fan channels, and ill try get those images of the light pins and show the wierdness of the upside down card, though again, inconveniences i can live with, lights just a niceity to see. Waiting on the other 8gb ddr3, the cpu seems to turbi boost itself over base core speeds, i havent even touched iverclocking in bios. Surely an improvement on what i had and even with 1gb gtx 750 everything feels alot smoother, temps are good so appreciate everything guys

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Only the dummy pin is free, im not even sure the 2pin female cinnector can even reach the mobo tbh. Ill be sure to try get some images on here somehown tomorrow when i have some free time to clearer show,and in regards vic to the 750 yeah the gpu, its wierd indeed, the top pciex16 slot is like the opposite way to the lower pciex16 asif rotated 180degrees, will also try get picture xD

So again thanks, i will swap those fan channels, and ill try get those images of the light pins and show the wierdness of the upside down card, though again, inconveniences i can live with, lights just a niceity to see.
Good to hear the system runs good. Would really like to se those pictures, cause what you seem to say just shouldn't happen regarding the gpu. Those pciex16 slots are all the same except speed/bandwith. Also those pics from that 2pin connector of course, see what that is.