[SOLVED] Help! First time buyer gaming PC for VR

Oct 26, 2020
I'm currently shopping around for a gaming PC to venture in to the world of PC VR with my Oculus Quest 2. I have the budget for an RTX 3080 model but my current PC monitor is only 1080p 60hz. Would I be ok to get the RTX 3080 PC and upgrade my monitor in a couple months time (£££ pending), or would I be better sticking with this monitor and getting a cheaper GPU e.g. RTX 2070 Super?

I can't seem to see anyone say if the 1080p/60hz of my monitor will affect the Quest 2 gaming quality with a Link cable.

Thanks!

Solution
What monitor you have will not affect the Quest 2.

As for what gpu, or pc to buy in general it really depends.

Do you "want" to spend more?
For the VR itself a 3070 is more than enough, and probably so will the 2070 super, or even a little lower.
A better gpu is, well, better, but for the vr it won't make a big difference.
If you get a 3080 and upgrade the monitor down the road that would be swell, but if you'd rather save the money and keep the monitor, you can run your vr on a relatively mid-end gpu.
What monitor you have will not affect the Quest 2.

As for what gpu, or pc to buy in general it really depends.

Do you "want" to spend more?
For the VR itself a 3070 is more than enough, and probably so will the 2070 super, or even a little lower.
A better gpu is, well, better, but for the vr it won't make a big difference.
If you get a 3080 and upgrade the monitor down the road that would be swell, but if you'd rather save the money and keep the monitor, you can run your vr on a relatively mid-end gpu.

Solution
Oct 26, 2020
Ahh great thanks! I guess in my head I was just thinking future-proofing for VR. But I also wouldn't mind trying out some non-competitive PC games so thought I a high end graphics card would be best - I do actually have a 4K Samsung TV in the same room so guess I could use that when it comes to platform PC gaming than VR?

I'm currently shopping around for a gaming PC to venture in to the world of PC VR with my Oculus Quest 2. I have the budget for an RTX 3080 model but my current PC monitor is only 1080p 60hz. Would I be ok to get the RTX 3080 PC and upgrade my monitor in a couple months time (£££ pending), or would I be better sticking with this monitor and getting a cheaper GPU e.g. RTX 2070 Super?

I can't seem to see anyone say if the 1080p/60hz of my monitor will affect the Quest 2 gaming quality with a Link cable.

Thanks!

As Siaan stated, you'll be fine. The monitor refresh won't affect the Quest2.

I would consider the 2060 as the starting point for VR, or a 5700.
Next tier would be 2070/5700XT/2070Super
Higher tier would be 2070Super/2080

With a 3900X CPU and 5700XT GPU, I have no problem hitting 144Hz on a number of games with the Valve Index. This is a much higher end headset. We also have the VR Screen up on a TCL 4K television and it doesn't affect gameplay much.

That said, the prices on these cards should be seriously discounted. You might be able to pick up a 2080 for $400 soon. With the BigNavi and 30 series out, these cards are considerably faster compared NVIDIA 20xx / AMD 5x00 Series. The 3070 for example will be as fast as a 2080ti for $500.

Oct 26, 2020
I saw the 3070 is out on the 29th Oct. so I think I’ll hold out for one of those instead. Seeing as it looks to be same prices as current higher end 20 series.

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
Buy now and upgrade later...

so even if your game play would be bad (Which it wont) i would still recommend you go for the better GPU. this is because you'll probably use the gpu for 4 -5 years which means that few months of less than perfect game play is worth it.

furthermore, your monitor wont give you a bad experience by any stretch of the word. granted a 4k monitor with 144hz would be much better, but your monitor wont be unpleasant to use.

think long term, you'd rather sacrifice those few fps for the time being, wait like 2 or 3 months and get the monitor then

BTW: just read the part where you said that you want to use VR. VR doesnt get effected by the monitor since your headset rig thing (Oculus) will be handling the output... Though the above sentement applies for normal games

Reactions: LangleyUK7