Help fixing un bootable windows.

telrin

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
hi again,

i am in need of your help professionals!

i have installed windows 7 32bit and last night, i was trying to install adobe reader and my computer became very unresponsive so i restarted it.

after that, i was not able to get into windows. it would go into the windows 7 loading screen and then just reboot.
i've tried loading under safe mode and it gets to classpnp.sys and reboots as well

Doing system restore is out of the question because i have no restore points. Also, doing the system repair did nothing.

Next, i looked it up on google and found various similar problems. i tried doing

bootsec /fixmbr
bootsec /fixboot
bootsec /scanos <- scan comes up with 0 OS's (bit bizarre)
bootsec /repairbCD

none of them work.

so i decided to do just a fresh install of windows XP to get into windows so all my files would still be intact.
however, when i booted up the setup, got into the file partitions, it says the partition is UNKOWN FORMAT. so i would have to do a "quick format" to NTFS, but its already in NTFS. and if i do a quick format all my files would be lost. i perfer not to use data recovery programs because they can be quite time consuming.

any help would be much much appreciated.
thank you

Jonmor68

Distinguished
You could try a clean install of W7 by booting with the dvd, if you havn't formated the drive, Windows will wrap the old instalation up into a folder called Windows.old from which you can recover your data files then delete.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

At this point, it is going to be best to perform a clean install and format from your Windows 7 DVD. Jonmor68 is correct -- if you don't format, or haven't formatted yet, you can select "custom" install. Windows will move your files to a "windows.old" folder.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team