Help for a 1440p or 1080p gaming monitor for my 1080 gaming x

deadmanation

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm really confused on what to buy as there are plenty of amazing monitors at the market.
My requirements are 144hz (overclockable if in budget) 1ms, G-sync and i would prefer a IPS panel over a TN as I've read posts where the TN panels bleed alot (I dont know whats a IPS and TN panel). My budget is somewhere between 500-600 USD. Any help appreciated. Thanks and Cheers.

Solution

eric8387

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I highly recommend the Dell S2716DG. 144hz, 1ms, G-sync, 1440p. It's TN but probably one of the nicest looking TN's I've ever used. Bezel is extremely thin as well.

deadmanation

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

Yes Eric, I've looked into it as well but the quality and the built is what kept me away from it. I will still go to a retail store next to me and check physically once again since you recommend it to me. Thanks alot mate.

deadmanation

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

Oh, Why did I get such negative comments in forums then? My bad, I will surly check it out by today or tomorrow itself. Thanks alot, Cheers.

For resolution, 1080P is ok for a 24 inch monitor. 1440p is much better in a 27 inch monitor.

Light bleed can happen with any type of panel. This is a defect though and the monitor can be returned under warranty.
IPS has a tendency to glow when viewed off angle, so the corners usually glow and can be mistaken for light bleed.
If you stand back further or move your viewing angle, the IPS glow will disappear but light bleed will not.

TN ihas the fastest response times, but colour and contrast aren't very good. The picture looks terrible unless viewed straight on.
IPS has much better colour and viewing angles than TN, but slower response times.
AMVA has much better contrast than TN or IPS and no issues with IPS glow. This means blacks are much closer to black. The colour and viewing angles are almost as good as IPS, but response times are even slower.

If you really want a 144 Hz monitor, TN is the way to go. IPS and AMVA panels will tend to show artifacts at such a high refresh rate.
If you were more concerned about picture quality, colour or black levels than TN would be the worst choice.

All you could want to know about the panel types:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

For a 1440P 144 Hz monitor, have a look at the ASUS ROG PG278Q.

deadmanation

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

It wasn't me that disliked the monitor, I just went through a few forums on other sites so it stated "Poor quality" that's why I didn't even make it an option. But yes, Surly I will check it out soon. :)

deadmanation

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

Holy, that's alot of knowledge at once for me. Make sense.. I will give a look into it and yes surly the Asus PG278Q is one of my best options as compared to others on behalf of ratings and reviews. Thanks alot mate. Appreciated.

It's well worth looking into. The monitor is probably the most important and overlooked component for user experience, plus you'll likely keep it longer than any other part of your computer.
The PG278Q got good reviews at the time it was released for using a high quality TN panel. There is more competition now, but I'm not sure anyone has released a better 144 Hz gaming monitor.

Solution