[SOLVED] Help for best wiring of fans in Fractal R6

CapybaraBoomBoom

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Hello the community ✨

I am assembling my first computer.
I am not completely retarded but partly.

This is the fan situation :
  • Asus Rog Strix Z390-e gaming board | Headers : CPU_FAN CPU_OPT CHA_FAN1 CHA_FAN2 & M.2 (all Q-Fan controlled)
  • Fractal Design r6 case | PWM Fan hub with 3 PWM 4 pin fans & 6 3 pin fans
Fans :
  • Fractal Design r6 case : 3 3 pin fans
  • Bequiet : 3 4 pin fans
  • Noctua NH-D15s CPU fan (PWM)

1. What is the wiring that would allow best control/flexibility over the fan controls, utilising PWM as much as possible, and would make most sense ? ( = where to plug each fan !?)
  2. The fractal design manual says to plug the PWM hub to the CPU_FAN port. Would it be a thing to plug it to the CPU_OPT port (which I'm not sure what it's for so far), and let the CPU fan be plugged directly into the motherboard on the CPU_FAN ?
  3. Please help me check if I understood correctly : all PWM fans from the hub will receive the same "speed" message, they are not individual controls, right ? And the 3 pin fans will always go full speed with no control possibility, is that correct ?
Thank you so much 🙏🏻

fan%20fractal%20wiring_fan%20wiring.png

Last edited:
Solution
Am I understanding correctly that your fan hub only repeats the signal it's going to receive that purple line? If so then I would install all of the PWM fans directly to the MOBO and use one of the CHA_FAN header to drive the fan hub. Then drive all the 3pin fans from the fan hub.

If not please explain how the fan hub works as that will have a large effect on how to wire up the system.

CapybaraBoomBoom

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Hi again.
Upon more research, I have come to these 2 possible options. I'm looking for feedback in case one makes more sense than the other or if I have done something retarded. Thanks !

V1
fan%20fractal%20wiring%20-%20v1.png

V2
fan%20fractal%20wiring%20-%20v2.png

Am I understanding correctly that your fan hub only repeats the signal it's going to receive that purple line? If so then I would install all of the PWM fans directly to the MOBO and use one of the CHA_FAN header to drive the fan hub. Then drive all the 3pin fans from the fan hub.

If not please explain how the fan hub works as that will have a large effect on how to wire up the system.

Solution

CapybaraBoomBoom

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020

Hi Grimfox and thanks for your time,
Yes you are correct, the HUB repeats the signal from the purple line, so it's just one channel (as I understand it). The case manual says to plug the hub to CPU_FAN on the motherboard, and plug the CPU fan on the hub.

So you if I understand what you are suggesting, the hub would serve only the 3pin fans, all the rest on the motherboard ?
In that case I think there are not enough fan headers no ? Unless M.2 fan counts... Because there are 3 case fans (dark blue 3 pin) + 3 additional fans (light blue 4 pins). So that would be :
CPU_FAN > CPU fan
CPU_OPT > additional fan 1
CHA_FAN1 > hub (HUB > 3 pin case fans 1, 2 & 3)
CHA_FAN2 > additional fan 2
??? > additional fan 3

😵