[SOLVED] Help for Boots Manager and Window 10

Mar 27, 2022
Hi,

I am trying to prepare upgrade to Window 11. I just found out that my Boot Manager and Window 10 are saved in 2 different Hard Disks. I tried to change the boot setting in BIOS to the Disk Window saved but it does not work. It saying error of no boot manager.

Here is some information for my PC, my Boot Manager is somehow under F Drive (It is a Plextor 128GB SSD) and the Window is under H: (C:) Drive. (It is under a ScanDisk 240GB SSD). I do have another 3 disk. (E Drive: 4TB HDD, Z Drive: 1TB HDD and D Drive: 1TB NVM) Majority of the program are saved under the H: Drive. I cannot see any other data in F Drive from File Explorer now.

I want to combine or migrate the Boot Manager and Window together into the D: Drive which is empty. After this is done, I will change the F Drive (Plextor SSD) disk format from MBR to GPT. Then, move the whole Window back to F Drive from D: Drive. After everything ok, I will backup and then upgrade to Window 11.

Who can help and tell me how to combine or migrate the Boot Manager and Window into 1 places without a clean Window install? Pls kindly share any idea with me.

Pls let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you very much

Solution
You can use easybcd from within windows to add an MBR to drive H (make it bootable, boot to a flashing cursor) and apply an bcdstore (windows boot menu, actually loading windows ) , you do not need the one on f, boot files are all generic.

Any files on drive F will be useless at that point and you will be able to convert it or delete it or do whatever you want.

You should create a windows installation media before doing anything because if you mess something up you may end up with a non bootable system, this goes for any option you might go with.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi,

I am trying to prepare upgrade to Window 11. I just found out that my Boot Manager and Window 10 are saved in 2 different Hard Disks. I tried to change the boot setting in BIOS to the Disk Window saved but it does not work. It saying error of no boot manager.

Here is some information for my PC, my Boot Manager is somehow under F Drive (It is a Plextor 128GB SSD) and the Window is under H: (C:) Drive. (It is under a ScanDisk 240GB SSD). I do have another 3 disk. (E Drive: 4TB HDD, Z Drive: 1TB HDD and D Drive: 1TB NVM) Majority of the program are saved under the H: Drive. I cannot see any other data in F Drive from File Explorer now.

I want to combine or migrate the Boot Manager and Window together into the D: Drive which is empty. After this is done, I will change the F Drive (Plextor SSD) disk format from MBR to GPT. Then, move the whole Window back to F Drive from D: Drive. After everything ok, I will backup and then upgrade to Window 11.

Who can help and tell me how to combine or migrate the Boot Manager and Window into 1 places without a clean Window install? Pls kindly share any idea with me.

Pls let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you very much
It sounds like you are overcomplicating this. Just create a bootable Windows 11 media and install from that to D drive. Doing everything that you plan to do is likely going to cause issues.

Edit: Make sure you remove the other drives before doing anything or you will risk losing data from them.

You can use easybcd from within windows to add an MBR to drive H (make it bootable, boot to a flashing cursor) and apply an bcdstore (windows boot menu, actually loading windows ) , you do not need the one on f, boot files are all generic.

Any files on drive F will be useless at that point and you will be able to convert it or delete it or do whatever you want.

You should create a windows installation media before doing anything because if you mess something up you may end up with a non bootable system, this goes for any option you might go with.

Solution
Mar 27, 2022
It sounds like you are overcomplicating this. Just create a bootable Windows 11 media and install from that to D drive. Doing everything that you plan to do is likely going to cause issues.

Edit: Make sure you remove the other drives before doing anything or you will risk losing data from them.
thank you

Here is some information for my PC, my Boot Manager is somehow under F Drive (It is a Plextor 128GB SSD) and the Window is under H: (C:) Drive. (It is under a ScanDisk 240GB SSD). I do have another 3 disk. (E Drive: 4TB HDD, Z Drive: 1TB HDD and D Drive: 1TB NVM)
Your migration ideas are so convoluted.
Rather hard to follow this.
Please show screenshot from Disk Management (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Who can help and tell me how to combine or migrate the Boot Manager and Window into 1 places without a clean Window install?
Generally - you clone bootloader and OS partitions to new drive. New drive has to be the same partitioning scheme as original bootloader drive.
After cloning disconnect all other drives, leave only new drive and try to boot into windows.
It may be necessary to fix bootloader, if windows doesn't want to load.

Instead of all that
it's probably easier to move bootloader to OS drive.
Then perform conversion to GPT with mbr2gpt utility.