[SOLVED] Help for new home network

Aug 27, 2020
Hi,
I am looking for assistance on network switches and cables (I think). I have looked online at daisy chaining network switches and see various opinions on daisy chains (okay to do, and not okay to do)
My current wireless setup stinks given my walls are brick, and so I would like to extend my wired network
Currently, I have:
Virgin Media Hub3 acting as a modem, with a cable to my Orbi Router (Port 1)
From my Orbi router, I have: Philips Hue hub (Port2), and a cable (Port 3) which connects to a Netgear switch.
Attached to the 4 port Netgear switch is a TV, Playstation, Sonos, and the Orbi router.
Everything works fine.
However, as my Wifi is rubbish, I would like to cable the Orbisatellites, and also cable other devices, for example; additional TVs and Sonos (10 devices in total)

I see myself having two options:
  1. Buy a 16 port switch. Connect the Orbi router to the switch, then run 10 cables to various rooms around the ground floor of the house to connect the devices. If I add a device, I need to add a cable from the 16 port switch to the room with the device, by running it under the floor.
  2. Buy multiple 5 port switches. Place one in each room I have devices, and one in the room with the router. Connect the router to the 1st switch. Then run 4 cables from that switch to each of the rooms with devices and connect to a switch. Then connect the devices in the room, to the switch in that room. Therefore, running less cable under the floor. If I want to add a device in a room, I connect it to the switch.
If I wanted to do upstairs, I would most likely want to run one cable from downstairs to upstairs and connect to a switch. From that switch, connect to devices upstairs using the method in options 1 or 2

In terms of ease of setup, Option 2 is easier to setup initially, and also expand, as I can get bigger switches in rooms if necessary. However, do I need to worry about the network getting confused and seeing a drop in performance? Are there other options available to me?
From reading about managed and unmanaged switches, I would want to go with unmanaged if that is going to work, to save me having to tinker with settings (I tried to setup a static IP one time, I broke my internet and ended up doing a factory reset. I am not the most tech savvy). Based on my description would unmanaged work with so many switches chained together?

Cheers,

Solution
A larger "core" switch is a good thing. You want to have expansion room without replacing something. If you need 3 connections in the room, 5 runs to other rooms, and the uplink, you probably would get a 16 or 24 port switch. Run a cable to whatever rooms you want connectivity. A single cable is enough. Then you can definitely put a small switch in the room to fan out your network. With gigabit connectivity back to the core switch, you will be fine. Even if you get gigabit ISP service in the future, with a switched infrastructure, your devices will have not hinder each other.

kanewolf

Titan
A larger "core" switch is a good thing. You want to have expansion room without replacing something. If you need 3 connections in the room, 5 runs to other rooms, and the uplink, you probably would get a 16 or 24 port switch. Run a cable to whatever rooms you want connectivity. A single cable is enough. Then you can definitely put a small switch in the room to fan out your network. With gigabit connectivity back to the core switch, you will be fine. Even if you get gigabit ISP service in the future, with a switched infrastructure, your devices will have not hinder each other.

Solution
Aug 27, 2020
Excellent. That is what I am looking for - thanks. I have read so many articles which reference "what not to do" in small business. However, I wanted reassurance that this example topology is acceptable.

TRENDING THREADS