Help for RAM & SSD for Lenovo M58

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Hi,

First of, English isn't my main langage, so I hope I'll be understandable enough.
Sorry for the long post and I already thank those who will read until the end :p.

I'm looking for help regarding my old mother's PC, a Lenovo M58 6303. Here are its caracteristics: https://imgur.com/a/KpR36ea

The PC is quite slow from time to time, with regular "no longer responding" frames when she wants to switch between Excel/Chrome tabs.
I saw that the processor but mostly the RAM are often high %, even with low activity (30% memory used when idle).
The PC being mainly used for office application/web surfing, with some flash games/youtube for the grand children, I was thinking of adding a small SSD (max 120, in addition to the current HDD) with a little more RAM. The idea is basically how to improve it while spending as little as possible.

Regarding the RAM, the PC has 2 DDR3 modules of 2+1go. When I opened it,I saw 4 slots, 2 green, 2 blue. Based on what I found on Internet and Lenovo docs, I can upgrade it up to 8go - even though that much isn't necessary - with max 2go modules at 1066 mhz.
Crucial websites suggests 4gb 1600 Udimm modules. Another website offers me instead PC3-8500 at 1066 mhz. If the PC only supports up to 1066 mhz, I guess there is basically no interest in buying 1600 (unless a future use on another PC ?) instead of 1066 mhz.
However, I read on forums that, contrary to what Lenovo manual says,and based on "AKA Dodson sheet" sales book, the PC can actually supports 4go modules, and a total of 16go. Since Crucial seems to say the same, it could be that the PC manages maybe more than 1066 mhz.

Based on this, My first question is what do you suggest regarding RAM ? Add only 1 1066 mhz module and keep the other 2 in place, which would be 5go, or replace the existing ones and put 1 4go or 2x2go?

My second question is about the SSD choice, what would be your opinion since the PC is in Sata 2 ? It won't be able to use the full capicity of a SSD, so I guess there is no need to find one really performing and I can instead look for a cheaper one.
She could also reuse it in another PC if she changes it in the long term. I didn't look it up too much yet but I found this in the first place; I might be able to find cheaper: https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00255701.html

When I opened the PC, I saw 2 SATA ports, one used by the HDD, the other one by the CD player. There also are a "PCI Express x1 adapter card slot", a "PCI Express x16 graphics adapter card slot",as well as an eSata port. Initially, I was thinking to get ride of the CD player and replace it with the SSD, but based on those other things available, do you think there is a better way to go? I saw that there are PCI E cards supporting Sata 3 but people say that it isn't worth it compared to native Sata 2.

Regarding of the current HDD, it's a Western Digital Blue 160go, which doesn't seems bad to me. I did a CrystalDiskMark yesterday and it seemed to have a write deficit compared to what it should do: 77,7 mb/s read, 44,6 mb/s write. I also did an userbenchmark test which said that the HDD was underperforming. I took advantage of having opened the PC to remove some dust and when I did another test afterwards, the figures changed: 81,8 read, 82,6 write, basically x2 in writing, althought I don't know if it's temporary increase or not. I also included in the link a CrystalDiskInfo screenshot to see its health status.

Additionals questions:
- Sometimes, the PC does a weird whistling noise (not sure it's from the HDD). If I hold it from both sides (even gently), the noise stops, but can come back when I release it. Any idea on that?
- Windows takes close to 40go on the HDD, which seems huge. There is also a difference between the used disk space on WinDirStat and Windows right click on HDD (-7go on CystalDiskInfo). Is those things normal?
- Any benefit for this PC to upgrade to Windows 10 (if still free from W7) for the future SSD?

Lastly, I found an old HP Pavillon a1000 unused whose are the features: https://imgur.com/a/DJIIyxC

- We agree on the fact that the Lenovo is better, right?
- Are there some hardware worth being reused into the Lenovo (the CG on the PCI x16 port?)?
- I was thinking of salvage the 2 HDD inside it. CrytalDiskInfo states a warning health statut for the first one with 2 instable sectors and 2 incurable erros. I did a chkdsk but no change. I tried to use Western Data Lifeguard which bugged during the USB/HDD research and Seagate Tools which didn't want to start at all. I was thus thinkinh of a slow formatting and use it as a external HDD (without relying too much on it ofc). Your opinions about it?
The second one seems in good shape, if you can confirm based on the screenshots.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

NB: I did another thread regarding my own laptop, if ever you have time to take a look at it as well:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3852904/hdd-issues-asus-n56vz.html

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Well, my idea is to only buy a SSD (which I would have to do even with a new PC) and maybe 1 RAM module, so the price difference is still pretty big.

SSD and RAM will be about $50, that is pretty much the cost of a used newer computer, without the SSD of course. Putting money into that system would be a waste, put the money towards a replacement.

bcn21

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Alright, so I got my hand on 2 modules of the following RAM at a cheap price:

https://www.amazon.fr/DIMM-Micron-MT8JTF51264AZ-1G6E1-PC3-12800U-1600MHz/dp/B01JPA32VY

Sadly, if I only put 1 or both of them and remove the current ones, the PC is really loud when booting (mostly fan I think) and there is no screen display.

If I put 1 or both of them with the current ones, the PC will boot but l have either 4 bips at the start of the PC and a 164 memory size error at the start (can still boot) or no error but the ram is not recognized.

My BIOS has the last update and should be able to handle 4gb modules (Crucial proposes the following ref when I do the checking process on their website: https://www.amazon.fr/Crucial-CT51264BD160B-PC3L-12800-240-Pin-M%C3%A9moire/dp/B005LDLUW8?th=1

Those modules are 1RX8 but it shouldn't be an issue since one of the current one is 1RX8 and the other one 2RX8 and they are both working.

I tried to clear CMOS but it didn't do anything.

Is there a way to determine if it's the new modules who are just not working or if they are incompatible?

Thanks for your help.