[SOLVED] Help! Game stuttering/mini freezes

Oct 24, 2020
I am not sure if this questions is for the GPU forum but I will ask here anyways. So I play 2 games, Total War Warhammer 2 and COD MW. Recently, out of the blue, there have been mini freezes in these games. I have been trying to figure out the issue. I tried making the resolution from 1080p to basically potato, severely nerfing a lot of my graphics settings, doing this and that but still the game has these mini freezes. Then thinking it might be the CPU I checked intel Extreme tuning but there was nothing special that happens when these mini freezes happen (temp and CPU utilization percent is nothing special). So what could possible cause this issue?

Laptop is GL502VS with GTX 1070.
i7-7700HQ 2.80 GHz CPU.
2x8 GB RAM
I have these games on HDD (1tb HDD)

I really need help with this, I have tried so many different things. All I need to know is what the issue is. From there I can decide if I need a new laptop/new component/software fix. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Gaming laptops are notorious for thermal throttling.
Run hwmonitor.
Your minimum idle temperature should be in the range of 10-15c. over ambient if your cpu cooler is working.

After you experience slowdown, look at the HWmonitor cpu temperature.
If you see a max of 100c. it means that you have throttled and slowed down for a while.
Check your cooling airways.
The only solution I have is to try running with the windows processor performance limit at something like 90% instead of 100%

On converting to a ssd, it can be very simple.
Buy a 1tb samsung 860 evo or qvo ssd.
Attach via a usb to sata adapter cable.
Run the samsung ssd migration app to copy your windows C drive to the ssd.
Here is a link to the manual and app...
Oct 24, 2020
I'm not sure if this is at all related to the problem (might make no difference) but you should really swap that HDD out for a SSD; modern games are designed with SSDs in mind and bootup/loading times are just sooo much faster.
Yeah that's true, Sadly I am on a laptop though. When I do upgrade my laptop to either a pc or another laptop I will def get an SSD instead of hybrid.

Oct 24, 2020
I looked up your laptop; the hard drive can be replaced. Remove the screws from the bottom of the laptop and you'll be able to access the hard drive.
Oh I didn't know this, thx for info. If the problem is either the HDD or something fixable I might as well upgrade storage instead of buying a brand new laptop.

Run hwmonitor.
Your minimum idle temperature should be in the range of 10-15c. over ambient if your cpu cooler is working.

If you see a max of 100c. it means that you have throttled and slowed down for a while.
The only solution I have is to try running with the windows processor performance limit at something like 90% instead of 100%

Here is a link to the manual and app.
When done, replace the hdd with the ssd and enjoy.
There will be youtube videos on the mechanical replacement process.

Solution
Oct 24, 2020
Run hwmonitor.

Here is a link to the manual and app.
When done, replace the hdd with the ssd and enjoy.
There will be youtube videos on the mechanical replacement process.
Thx for the info on how to change storage and I will be sure to follow it if I can keep this laptop. In terms of the temperature the idle temperature is rather high (50-60 C) but there doesn't seem to be a link between temp and the mini freezes (i.e I noticed mini freezes happen at about 70 C, but I can run at 80 C consistently and there is no mini freezes that happen (for limited period of time). I also don't think its thermal throttling as my laptop has had a similar temp for a while now but the mini freezes are rather recent. It never really reaches 100 C. Would there be any other reason why the mini freezes happen other than CPU temp?

If you EVER touched 100c. you would have throttled until the temperatures lowered.
That is why looking at the Max cpu temperature recorded by HWmonitor can be telling.

As to other possible reasons:
Some games will need to load stuff from the HDD. A laptop hdd will be some 40x slower than a ssd.

If your game depends on the internet, there could be spikes in performance there.