Question Help! Games crash randomly to desktop without an error. I've tried almost everything I could find on google.

tsome1

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
PC Specs:
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz
GTX 960 MSI Gaming 4g
Gigabyte G750H 80+ Gold

I recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard. I'm still looking for a decent gpu (3060 ti or 3070) for a fair price (GPU drought). After upgrading, games started to randomly crash to desktop without error. Everything else seems to work fine. Wallpaper engine and other programs keep working while the game crashes.
I can't boot into Forza Horizon 4's benchmark without the game crashing and going to desktop. Less graphically demanding games like Rocket League and Sea of Thieves seem to work for a lot longer before randomly crashing and closing.

I did the following things to fix/locate the issue:
  • I reinstalled nvidia drivers multiple times. (tried the last 5 releases) I used DDU in safe mode for this.
  • I did a fresh windows install.
  • I tried using a different GPU (a friends' old 950), same problem.
  • I tried using one monitor instead of two.
  • I checked event viewer and I got this error. I get regular distributedCOM warnings, but are those related to the crashes?
  • I changed some nvidia control panel settings.
  • I tried under and overclocking the GPU.
  • I checked gpu and cpu usage/power it seemed normal (max temps <70 C). GPU usage tended to go to 100% and then to 1-2% while the games crash.
  • I ran memtest64 for a while without errors.
  • My drives seem to work properly as well.

There are other things I've tried the past 3 days, but I can't remember all of them. I would love some suggestions. I want to upgrade my gpu, but I'm not confident it will fix my issue.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Ah this. This exact error made me sell my pc and turn my back on the PC world.... until I watched a friend of mine work through it like it was a walk in the park. This is not a guaranteed fix but it sure as hell may just work so hear me out. Its giving you that error because with those fault crashes there is something internally causing it. Chaos in the registry or lingering files that are disrupting processes... honestly could be anything but in short there are corrupted files within windows. I had to get him to tell me all this so all the smart stuff is below :)

What I remember was turning off windows firewall, running virus scans and then the biggest thing was using SFC (System file checker)

For this go to command prompt and run as admin, then type this exactly as shown: sfc /scannow [sfc(SPACE)/scannow}
Once finished reset your computer.

Then, back into poweshell and run " dism.exe/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth
This takes longer, and reset after it is completed.

NOW try to run your games.

If no luck. Wipe the Hdd and start from scratch. Update ALL drivers and then delete any third party antivirus programs, only keeping your windows defender installed.

Last edited:

tsome1

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
Ah this. This exact error made me sell my pc and turn my back on the PC world.... until I watched a friend of mine work through it like it was a walk in the park. This is not a guaranteed fix but it sure as hell may just work so hear me out. Its giving you that error because with those fault crashes there is something internally causing it. Chaos in the registry or lingering files that are disrupting processes... honestly could be anything but in short there are corrupted files within windows. I had to get him to tell me all this so all the smart stuff is below :)

What I remember was turning off windows firewall, running virus scans and then the biggest thing was using SFC (System file checker)

For this go to command prompt and run as admin, then type this exactly as shown: sfc /scannow [sfc(SPACE)/scannow}

If no luck. Wipe the Hdd and start from scratch. Update ALL drivers and then delete any third party antivirus programs, only keeping your windows defender installed.

Thank you very much for your response. I tried what you suggested, but It sadly didn't work.

I'm going to do what you suggested I should do now and back-up my files, so I can format my drives and try to get it to work with a complete clean installation of windows. I don't have any other antivirus programs, so that couldn't be the problem.

tsome1

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017

I wiped my drives and freshly installed windows, sadly it has not fixed my issue. Thank you for helping though!

Vxlite

Commendable
Jul 1, 2021
Hello. I currently have the same problem you have except I never upgraded any of my parts. I've been getting crashes to desktop with no error ever since December of last year. With that said, I've tried everything, reinstalling GPU driver, trying other GPU drivers, checking for corrupt files, cleaning and checking each individual pc part of my system, stress testing my GPU, monitoring temps, used memtest64 to check my RAM, and even clean installed windows again. I've posted a somewhat similar thread to yours and chances are it's faulty hardware. In my case, someone in my thread mentioned that my PSU might be causing the problem. I haven't tested it out yet cause I don't know anyone who has a spare PSU for me to borrow and I don't have money right now to buy a new one.

In your case, if the problems started emerging after your upgrade, chances are it might be the motherboard. Have you downloaded the latest chipset driver for your motherboard?
If yes, then maybe you should try swapping out the PSU with another one and see if the problem still persists.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you didn’t clean install windows when you upgraded the motherboard and CPU then that’s your problem