Question HELP! Games running like trash on Steam.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hey,

CPU: Ryzen 3600 (No OC)
GPU: RX5700 (No OC)
MOBO: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
RAM: 2x8 DDR4 HyperX Predator 3200mhz
PSU: Super Flower Leadex lll 650w Gold
SSD: Kingston A400 480GB

Been searching on and off on the internet regarding this issue, yet to find a fix that would do the magic for me. So, briefly my core issue is that steam games(old & new) run like trash. More specifically, even if I have 400-500fps the gameplay is very choppy and feels more like 30fps. I have this issue no matter the settings. I don't get freezes or lagspikes, just overall stuttering and choppiness. Same with V-sync.

Also when enabling Windowed mode when playing a steam game, the "choppiness" becomes five times worse. I regularily play games on Battle.net/Epic-game clients and got next to no problems. No choppiness or anything in games that are hundred times more demanding than what I struggle with in Steam.

I built the PC in mid-august and this issue surfaced about 3 weeks into the journey with this. All in all there are some hiccups here and there, but major issues solely persist on Steam.

Things I have tried

Steam:
File re-validation
Disable steam overlay
Trying beta mode
Uninstalling the client
Uninstalling the games
Various little things I can't remember
There's not a setting in-game(s) that I've not tried to adjust

GPU:
Various latest drivers
Rolled back to the drivers that I used when I had no issues
A lot of tweaking in the Radeon interface
DDU clean installs

Windows:
File repairs
Disabled services
RAMMap emptying
Game Mode off
Always latest updates
(MSI Game Boost)

There's a lot of small things that I cannot remember at the moment.

I've monitored a lot of stuff while in game, but nothing seems to be operating in the background that could generate these issues on Steam.

I heard that RX5700's have had issues with games that do not utilize the GPU a lot, but wow classic didn't require much and had no issues there, so the argument doesn't seem valid in my case.

All in all the build has some occasional hiccups (the blessing of owning an RX 5700), but major problems only occur when playing on Steam. They're constant.

Benchmarks look normal, except my Kingston A400 posts around 38% performance. I don't know if it's linked to this issue. I also did 3Dmark runs some time ago and posted solid results.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22239291
(the run was done with stuff running in the background etc so it's not exactly accurate)

• I still have the factory BIOS on my motherboard, not sure if it could have something to do with this.
  • I've not tried to reinstall Windows, since I'd really not want to do that.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Yeah, I've been looking @ MX500's. I don't think the SSD contributes to this issue though, or? Since I play other games almost flawlessly. I think it could fix some occasional hiccups tho and improve some loading speeds.

Thanks for your answer nonetheless.

WildCard999

Titan
If you updated the motherboard (as well as other parts) and didn't do the clean install there's a good chance the previous motherboard drivers are conflicting with the new ones and the only fix is a clean install of Windows, drivers and your programs.

Also if your getting high FPS but still feels stuttery then consider changing the monitor cable. I had a similar issue which felt like lower FPS or even microstutter which was fixed by swapping the HDMI to Displayport. I will say though this was an issue with most games, not just Steam so it may be another issue. With Steam only games having this issue you could try re-validating the files for each game.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Yo,

Firstly, cheers for your answer. I forgot to mention the re-validation, done that with high hopes no luck. I don't know what do you mean with updating, I built this PC from scratch, no other components have "touched" this OS : )

I'm currently using a DP-cable that came with my AOC monitor, I don't really think it's that, since I'm more than fine in games outside of Steam.

For an older CoD, I use a software that unlocks my FPS and it makes the game playable, yet the choppiness stays. It sort of gets overshadowed and is less notable, but still present. Makes the running etc feel sort of like I'm running against wind.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
I've not used hwmonitor, but I have regularily monitored usages/temps with afterburner logs/rivatuner.

Averages during demanding non-steam gaming.
GPU temps are around 70-80ish and peaks 86-89C.
CPU temps sit around 55C (bequiet! dark rock slim) for the most part and the peaks are usually +- 62C.

In older Steam games the GPU usage and temps are obviously way lower, yet they run like trash.

WildCard999

Titan
I'm guessing the GPU is the reference blower version?

If so then it's possible it may be thermal throttling to prevent damage. I don't see a max safe operating temp listed on AMD's site however what you may want to do is download a program like MSI Afterburner and make sure the GPU fan curve is set to 100% by 80C. It's going to run probably a bit louder but we need to keep the temp down to make sure this is what's causing your issue. You may want to even remove the side panel as well, pretty much anything to keep it around, or more preferably under 80C.

Try this, do a bit of gaming and let me know if the stuttering stops or at the very least reduced.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Yup blower version, bought it when the lineup came out.
The RX 5700's are meant to run kinda hot and the throttling will start at around 100C+ according to AMD. Reflecting on that, I'm on safe waters.

I've previously had issues with overheating and the symptoms were somewhat different to what I'm experiencing. (older pc)

I'll still adjust the fan curve though, since some people have been experiencing throttling @ around 90+C...

Thanks alot for your answer yet again.