[SOLVED] Help getting gpu to run off of PCIe x8 slot?

Sep 16, 2019
Hey, so I have a gtx 1060 that's been running fine in the PCIe x8 slot as the only and gpu and suddenly it's been not displaying. Fans are running and onboard graphics work. Tried re-seating the gpu and going into bios and setting the primary graphics display to PCIe but it hasn't been working so far.

I had this problem before but after fooling around with it a few months ago it kinda fixed itself but it's back all of a sudden.

Any way to manually set the bios to use the PCIe x8 slot as the primary graphics? I suspect that the motherboard checks the PCIe x16 slot and finds it empty and defaults to onboard instead of moving down to the x8 slot.

Any help would be appreciated.

i5 3570k
GTX 1060 6gb
Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H
8Gb ram

Edit: I forgot to mention that I accidentally removed the slot cover of the PCIe x16 slot when removing the old gpu a few years ago, that's why I'm running out of the x8 slot.

EDIT #2: ok so i set the bios to PEG, Reseated the gpu and replugged the hdmi and psu cable to gpu after using DDU to uninstall nvidia drivers. Booted into windows with out drivers and got visual. Started installing NVIDIA drivers and promptly lost visual. Therefore I have surmised it's a nvidia driver issue. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Edit #3: Alright so I got it working with an old driver version. I guess the new one is kinda funky with my setup.

Feel free to close this if u'd like moderators.

Last edited by a moderator: