[SOLVED] Help getting more than 3 GPU working on Gigabyte B450 AORUS Pro Wi-Fi

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019
I have a ryzen 3600X, my first 3 3080s work no trouble. My fourth 3080 and 3060 TI not being picked up in device manager. I've enabled 4G decoding, tried GEN1 & GEN2 pcie speeds. There's only 4 slots on this board and the first 3 slots recognized the cards one by one no issues. The fourth turns on but is not showing up in device manager. I've also put M.2 to USB/Riser in M.2 slot A but that also is not recognized. I am waiting on a PCI to 4 riser splitter to see if that changes anything.

This isn't my first rig, doing over 1.4 GH in my house but this one is giving me trouble. There are basically bare-bones bios settings in this board. I haven't changed any other settings or turned off anything in the bios. Only things I've done is enabled 4G decoding and tried GEN 1 & 2 speeds.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Full hardware list:

RYZEN 5 3600X CPU
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 (I usually use hiveOS but get them working in Windows 1st)
2 1200 W Corsair PSU brand-new n both tested to work (PSU splitter)
4 3080s and 1 3060 TI (been tested and work with/by themselves)
1 256g SSD Silicon (all my rigs use these)
Show hidden devices is turned on but shows nothing

Last edited:
Solution
Re: "I've never heard of Reliability History and Event Viewer. What do these do? "

Both tools capture and display system information related to hardware and software activities.

Results include error codes, warnings, and informational events.

Clicking any given entry provides more details - error codes for example. Unfortunately the details may or may not be helpful.

Start with Reliability History. Overall much more user friendly and the time line format can be quite revealing with respect to when problems begin (or end) or showing some pattern.

Event Viewer is much more cumbersome to work with but allows more deliberate focus in some ways.

Another place to look is Update History: there may be some failed or problem...

Ralston18

Titan
Mining rig?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s): make, model, wattage, age, condition (new, original, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

In Task Manager > View is "Show hidden devices" selected?

And, just to clarify and verify, each GPU is known to work on its' own along with any two of the other GPUs - correct?

Reactions: Frenchy19951

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019
Mining rig?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s): make, model, wattage, age, condition (new, original, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

In Task Manager > View is "Show hidden devices" selected?

And, just to clarify and verify, each GPU is known to work on its' own along with any two of the other GPUs - correct?
RYZEN 5 3600X CPU
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 (I usually use hiveOS but get them working in Windows 1st)
2 1200 W Corsair PSU brand-new n both tested to work (PSU splitter)
4 3080s and 1 3060 TI (been tested and work with/by themselves)
1 256g SSD Silicon (all my rigs use these)
Show hidden devices is turned on but shows nothing

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

First with just 3 GPUs installed.

Then try 4 GPUs. Determine if any new or additional events are captured by either Reliability History or Event Viewer.

Also: modular PSUs - correct?

Did you mix and match in cables from any other PSU's?

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

First with just 3 GPUs installed.

Then try 4 GPUs. Determine if any new or additional events are captured by either Reliability History or Event Viewer.

Also: modular PSUs - correct?

Did you mix and match in cables from any other PSU's?
I've never heard of Reliability History and Event Viewer. What do these do?

I shall give it a try if I can figure it out.

Yes modular PSU's both Corsair 1200 Hx brand-new no cables mixed. I would doubt since there but the same brand and same model that it would do anything but I double checked and no mixed cables.

Ralston18

Titan
Re: "I've never heard of Reliability History and Event Viewer. What do these do? "

Both tools capture and display system information related to hardware and software activities.

Results include error codes, warnings, and informational events.

Clicking any given entry provides more details - error codes for example. Unfortunately the details may or may not be helpful.

Start with Reliability History. Overall much more user friendly and the time line format can be quite revealing with respect to when problems begin (or end) or showing some pattern.

Event Viewer is much more cumbersome to work with but allows more deliberate focus in some ways.

Another place to look is Update History: there may be some failed or problem updates involved.

Overall, it will likely take a bit of trial and error to gain a sense of how the tools can be used. No rush per se - just explore and learn your way around.

Most important is to not jump to any conclusions with respect to what you discover. Work to understand and otherwise validate some finding.

Lastly, Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) might prove helpful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use Process Explorer to, for example, watch what is going on when 3 GPU's are installed. Then look for some change after the 4th GPU is installed.

Trickier and tougher but any process that pops up, goes away, or changes between "3" and "4" GPUs may be a clue as to what is going on.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS