[SOLVED] HELP!Gigabyte g1 980ti dont work on my PC but work on another...

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Hi.
Bought a used Gigabyte G1 980ti from FM.

Went home and plug it in the pci e slot (have asus strix 970 before that)

But got nothing when turn on the pc.
Fans spining ,led working but i think it didnt POST.
Tried different cables and most the solutions online which i managed to find.
immediately got the feeling that im scammed and messaged the seller.
He said to come to him again and test in his pc to prove me that it is working normaly.
So i went .He removed his gpu(1080ti) and put the 980ti with hdmi.
And guess waht?It started first time no problem at all.
I was shocked.He even said that he can refund me , but i realy need the card.
The issue is that i cant make to work for me...

My specs:

CPU-2700k(slightly oc ,but default now because im trying to make the gpu to work) with AIO Gamemax cooler
MB-Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
RAM- 4x4gb DDR 3
PSU-1000w Corsair RM1000
Monitor-ACER K242HQK

All the things are old and well used ,but shouldn't have any problems with 980ti.

The seller specs(not all of them just what i managed to get from him)
CPU-i9990k(quite new platform)
PSU-550w(evga i think)

Im not the most knowledgeable person about PCs but will understand every tip.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
You could try updating your BIOS like Archaic59 wrote, but first be sure to check which version do you currently have (It may not be worth it at all). Then take a look at the updates in here (I think thats the right page): https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/P8Z68-V/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Be sure to pick the right BIOS, and read the manual and the BIOS notes and instructions on that page. (updating BIOS the wrong way could lead to a useless mobo, so be sure to read, and read again, and pick the right one)

But Im not 100% sure it will work anyways. It probably should but it could also be something else.

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
yup, and the rm series arent crap, so it should work fine. Always use the beefiest power supply you have. even if your pc only needs 300 watts and you in a 2000w psu, it wont do any harm, since it puts in only as much power as your pc needs

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
yup, and the rm series arent crap, so it should work fine. Always use the beefiest power supply you have. even if your pc only needs 300 watts and you in a 2000w psu, it wont do any harm, since it puts in only as much power as your pc needs
This is what i have in my rig and the PC still cant work with the card...
It just start the fans and the LED but no signal on the monitor.

This is what i have in my rig and the PC still cant work with the card...
It just start the fans and the LED but no signal on the monitor.
Your motherboard is very old and it's possible you may need a bios update for the card to work, but, Asus support for that board no longer shows any available updates that I could find. The 980 ti came out several years after your motherboard was made. I think it should still work but it's possible there's a compatibility issue with the old motherboard bios.

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Your motherboard is very old and it's possible you may need a bios update for the card to work, but, Asus support for that board no longer shows any available updates that I could find. The 980 ti came out several years after your motherboard was made. I think it should still work but it's possible there's a compatibility issue with the old motherboard bios.
In other words... No chance to make it work?

In other words... No chance to make it work?
I'm unsure that's why I said it's possible. If it works fine in a newer motherboard but not on yours it's possible the bios are incompatible but I have no way of knowing for certain. I would not expect your power supply to be the problem. You have 2 slots on your board you can use. The dark blue and the white slot. If the card fails in both slots I'm guessing the age of the motherboard bios version is a problem. You could also use the black slot but the card will run slower on it, if it even works.

You could try updating your BIOS like Archaic59 wrote, but first be sure to check which version do you currently have (It may not be worth it at all). Then take a look at the updates in here (I think thats the right page): https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/P8Z68-V/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Be sure to pick the right BIOS, and read the manual and the BIOS notes and instructions on that page. (updating BIOS the wrong way could lead to a useless mobo, so be sure to read, and read again, and pick the right one)

But Im not 100% sure it will work anyways. It probably should but it could also be something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archaic59
Solution