HELP! Gigabyte R9 280X Crashing whole PC in games

DanntePROx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
So, today bought a R9 280X, was very happy when i put it in my PC, Crysis 3 max all the way, 30+ fps, but, after 1 min it crashed my PC...

before start, here are my specs
2500K@4.0
8192Mb GSkill Trident @1600
Asrock z77 Pro3
600W Nox Urano PSU
Windows 7 x64 - FRESH
Driver version 14.12 omega
Using 2 monitors

Ok, so in desktop the card works fine. With games it happens either instantly either after a while, maximum gameplay time was like 1 min. In outlast for ex, if i stand still after loading, it seems to not crash, but as soon as i start moving it crashes, i dont really know what that can be.

EDIT: Now it crashes in tests 2, so any GPU utilization equals a PC crash..

So obviously i went google, and went through alot of options/solutions but neither helped,
What did i already try but note worked
Downclock
overclock,
different drivers, starting with 13.9 up to the latest betas,
reset/update bios
tried different PCIEx slot,
tried to use only 1 monitor
reinstalled windows

Windows is totally fresh, no software is installed that might interfer. Installed DirectX. dotNET, VCredist.

PLEASE HELP, no more ideas left in my head (((

Solution
It's just a guess. Try reverting your cpu to stock speeds (as well as your ram) and try the benchmarks again and see if it causes any issues. Your cpu could be receiving inefficient power and it's shutting down your pc.

DanntePROx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

No error, nothing, PC just shuts down, and reboots after 3-4 seconds.

TysonY2

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Kinda sounds like your cpu is causing the crash... I know you said you underclocked, but was the specific to the gpu? Have you REALLY stress tested the cpu in order to prove its stability?

DanntePROx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

That´s weird, coz i used that CPU for like 1 month now, and it did't crash yet once, and was showing good performance, and my PC was working just fine yesturday with an old HD6870

TysonY2

Reputable
May 29, 2014
It's just a guess. Try reverting your cpu to stock speeds (as well as your ram) and try the benchmarks again and see if it causes any issues. Your cpu could be receiving inefficient power and it's shutting down your pc.

Solution

DanntePROx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
So after all it was the PSU, underclocked the GPU to 700 and memory to 1100 and no crashes by far, but i have like -30/40% performance now ((( sad, now i have to buy another PSU aswell... that will never end ((

DanntePROx

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

Thanks TysonY2 that leaded me to the solution, i was searching the problem in software, but when you said that such shutdown is caused by inefficient power, it lead me to the right solution.
Today received a Corsair TX750W V1, nothing fancy, but i can't be more happy about. Stable system, no shutdowns, everything works like charm. Just tested BF4 on Ultras, and guess what 60-80 FPS <3

toluxtim

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
ok i have the same exact card the windforce version comes with clock speed of 1000mhz for gpu and 1375mhz for ram and im gonna say this once it is a defective product even with a gigabyte board it crashes randomly especially when playing call od duty advanced warfare and i realised there isn't much solutions to this problem online...i fortunately have solved my problem and want to share it...what you have to do is use OC guru 2 by gigabyte and down clock the voltage to 1.11v from 1.17v that's how i got mine to stop crashing hope it works for you
ASK A NEW QUESTION