HELP! Gigabyte R9 280X Crashing whole PC

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Hello,

I have a serious problem with my graphic card.

Here are my specs:

Corsair RM Series RM850
Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC WindForce 3X 3GB DDR5 384-bit
14.12 Omega
Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit XMP
SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch
Windows 7x 64
Bios updated

So my problem is that my computer is crashing randomly and I suspect the video card is responsible. The crashing are like one colour screen and a annoying noise. I receive no error message and I have to reboot each time my pc.
I can't say it's during a game, the most crashing I have them while watching movies (not HD but Rip), but I also have them while doing nothing.
I reinstalled the windows 2 times already.

Please help, it's already frustrating.

Thank you

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

For the moment no, I want to add that I've tried to stress my video card but to no avail. No crashing.
Anyway I don't trust stress software because I had a previous problem with another video card and it was also stable during the stress test.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Which REV is your card. I ordered a Gigabyte Rev3 R9 280X and it worked fine for the first few days... then boom... it started having lots of lines on my displays and causing my computer to crash. I contact Gigabyte for support and after nearly a week they wrote back to me and said change the cable... After that, I didn't waste any time.. since it was a new purchase I requested an RMA from Newegg and they sent me a replacement card.

Oh, and before I did all of that.. I did check my bios and even wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Windows.. and that didn't have any effect. Someone suggested that the problem is... Gigabyte overclocks this particular card heavily and/or the memory used inside this card is prone to defects.. In either case, it just seems that batches of this card are bad and simply need replacing. So far I haven't have any problems with the replacement card.. it's only been about 5 days but so far I'm satisfied.

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Mine is a REV2, I did the same like you to no avail. Now I' tried my previous video card (Nvidia) and no crash at all.

At least you are lucky you could return yours, for me it will be almost impossible to claim the warranty on it because they will test it with a furmark, everything will be ok then they will send it back to me by saying product working perfectly :( and they will charge me also the testing.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I knew if I waited for Gigabyte to help me... the return period with Newegg would have expired.. that's why I went ahead and sent it back. You do have one option. Go the Gigabyte Website and see if a newer BIOS is available.. sometimes that will clear up problems. You'll need to install that @BIOS file to flash. Here is the direct link. First check to see which version you currently have on your card:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4845#bios

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
By Seller you mean... Manufacturer, right? If it's under warranty... most places will just send you a refurbished card without even testing it. They'll just inspect it to see if you performed any modifications or physically damaged the card. That's what XFX did when I sent them a card a few years that kept crashing my system.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
You're confused. You can request an RMA from the dealer within the first month... to return or exchange your card... after that you have to deal with the manufacturer with any problems. That's what I was referring too... and that's what I'm assuming the problem is with this person who asked... If he just bought the card... the logical thing to do would be to return it and buy another one... so I'm guessing it's been over a month and it's too late for him to do that.

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

I already had a problem a while ago with a faulty video card, it took me 3 months to change it, until I showed them in their testing room that it didn't work. I put a game (genuine) and in 2 min it crashed. You know that the idiots don't event accept a recording of the crash.
I'm speaking about the seller, no point going until gigabyte.
Anyway in the worst case scenario I will sell it and buy an Nvidia, no more ATI for me.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Did you run that @bios file for your card? It tells you exactly what version you are using... I sent you the link to it.. just select bios and download that.. or it should have been included with your card.

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Wich one of them? I have 3 versions

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

You said you have the Rev2 Card... so just select that at the top of the box and you'll see the downloads for that card..

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
You said you have the Rev2 Card... so just select that at the top of the box and you'll see the downloads for that card..[/quotemsg]

I did that but I have 3 bios versions F71, F4, F13 and wich one of them should I pick?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

I did that but I have 3 bios versions F71, F4, F13 and wich one of them should I pick?
[/quotemsg]

You look at the bios currently on your card and choose the one above it.

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
You look at the bios currently on your card and choose the one above it.[/quotemsg]

that's what I was saying earlier, it shows xxx-xxx at bios version so I don't know wich bios version I do have on my video card.

Karim Bounnit

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

You look at the bios currently on your card and choose the one above it.[/quotemsg]

I got it. Now I will try flashing.

TRENDING THREADS