HELP! Got new ram, pc runs terribly!

new88

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I upgraded from 1GB to 4GB ram, and when I put the new ram in, my computer SUCKED! It was soooo slow, it took literally minutes just to open the start menu. Also my cpu usage is peaked and always at 100%.

Mobo: Intel DG965WH (supports upto 8GB ram at 800mhz)
Intel E6300 @ 1.86ghz
Old ram: Kingston 1Gb (2x512MB) dual channel 266Mhz
New ram: OCZ Sli-Ready Dual channel 4GB 800Mhz (2x2GB)
Running Vista Home Premium 64 bit for months now

The memory is fully read as 4gb but it is mega slow. I tried formatting (which took over 10 hours to complete....o_O) Takes forever just to load up.

Only 2 slots are used, I didn't combine the memory modules. ONLY using the 4GB.

What can I do? Please help me out here. :(

Any more info needed, please reply...:(

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Take out the new modules and put the old ones and see if things go back normal. The new modules could be defective or maybe your motherboard is not setting the speed right. Try to check that in BIOS.

G

i went from 800 ram from mushkin to 1150 ram from mushkin... performance was worse... and timings were terrible... couldn't underclock without bsods or anything... has to be at 100% stock for it to work... unlike the 800 ram that was SOOOOO much better

had to switch though as my 800 ram turned out to be defective... and they no longer had the specific micro d9 chips left in stock... so they sent me this "faster" ram which is so much worse... if it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do i'd buy new ram... but it does do it ok... albeit worse than my old ram

so it could be timings are a lot worse or something... don't really know what to do in your situation though

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Check the rated voltage for your new modules. I'll bet my lunch money a little extra voltage will fix this. Start with what they can take and then fine tune backward from there. Confirm with memtest.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
1) make sure you have the ram in the same colored slots so your in dual channel
2) make sure the voltage is set proper in the BIOS
3) make sure the timings are what they are supposed to be in the BIOS
4) If problems persist, try it with 1 stick, test with memtest. then try the other stick.