HELP! GPU usage low after 1800X upgrade & new mobo - Low fps, stuttering, sluggish windows performance

TryteHD

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Hello, I upgraded my PC from an i7 5820K and Asus Sabertooth X99 to an R7 1800X, with 16GB 3000MHz RAM and a Gigabyte Aorus AX-370 Gaming K5 Motherboard (not the same as Gaming 5).

Never mind why I upgraded, that's irrelevant. I'm getting terribly sluggish and bad windows performance and I'm running Windows on an SSD. At first, I did a fresh install of Windows on a new SSD. Desktop performance was much slower compared my main SSD in my X99 rig, but it wasn't until I launched Player Unknown's Battlegrounds that I saw my fps run at an incredibly stuttery 8-9 frames per second. Every now and then, the fps would go back up to 80fps which is where it should be, only to fall down a minute after to the same stuttery mess. I thought it might've been because it wasn't optimised for Ryzen, fair enough, I launched The Witcher 3, same issue. Same issue in GTA 5, BF1, Black Ops 3, BF3, Skyrim, Rise of the Tomb Raider etc. etc. Not an optimisation issue.

Here's what I've tried to fix it:
Using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove any conflicting drivers.
Fresh reinstall of windows.
Using 3 different SSDs for Windows installation (all sluggish).
Updated all drivers under the sun.
Taken out and reseated graphics card.
Checked temps (they're fine).
Changed PSU.
Changed RAM.
Set affinity.
Reset Overclock.
Overclocked.
Underclocked.
Reinstalled drivers again.
CCleaner to fix registry issues and general issues.
Run virus tests.

Finally, I tried moving the card down to the next PCIE X16 slot. The stuttering had gone but fps drops remained, as well as horrifically bad Windows performance. Drops now went down to 20fps instead of 8. I think there's something about some X16 slots actually having the bandwidth of X1 slots so maybe that's why it's lower but I don't understand why there would still be drops, surely it'd just be consistently bad?

Video of the issue (audio lag not present in-game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCNeOvDjAM&feature=youtu.be

CPU Usage while rendering this video:
http://imgur.com/a/rO6dx

GPU stats while playing this game:
http://imgur.com/a/NsSXt

Both the card and all SSDs and Windows installs work perfectly fine in my X99 rig. It's only with this motherboard and this CPU that everything goes pear-shaped.

Specs:
R7 1800X
16GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
GTX 1080 Jetstream
Gigabyte Aorus AX-370 Gaming K5
Sandisk Ultra 2 SSD
Samsung 850 EVO (x2)
Drevo X1 SSD

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Solution
Hmm I think either your motherboard or GPU is faulty. If it is the same GPU you used in your previous system, then you should replace your mobo. However to confirm everything, you should test your GPU in a different PC.

srimasis

Distinguished
Hmm I think either your motherboard or GPU is faulty. If it is the same GPU you used in your previous system, then you should replace your mobo. However to confirm everything, you should test your GPU in a different PC.

Solution

TryteHD

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Yes I have done BIOS update, chipset update, RAM running at 2666MHz (motherboard doesn't let me push it higher :/), overclocking CPU by anything results in BSOD, same with RAM, anymore than 2666MHz and I get BSOD.

TryteHD

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Tested the GTX 1080 in my X99 rig again, all working fine with 100% usage on games as it should be.

Solution found - Put the new motherboard in and Windows performance was running flawlessly, editing was fantastic and gaming performance was back up to where it should've been. I was correct, the motherboard was the issue.