[SOLVED] [HELP] GTA V stutters every couple of minutes!

Feb 15, 2021
GTA V stutters every couple of minutes where CPU usage drops from 23% (which is already terrible) to 3% which is even worse. GPU usage is contantly 0.1%. When the game is running fine i can get up to 60 fps, but when the cpu usage drops, I get around 2fps.

laptop specs:
GTX 1650
Intel core i7-9750H
8 GB ram
and i run the game on my SSD!

Solution
Its definitely thermal throttling, anyway to fix this?
You can undervolt CPU and GPU which will definitely reduce the temps, clean thoroughly the laptop from dust, make sure it has plenty of space underneath for fresh air to be able to cool it and also a stand with fans (cooling pad) would also make a difference, depending on the quality of the stand.

Edit: Forgot to mention changing the thermal paste but that is something that is almost always done by a repair shop when it comes to laptops. If you know how and are comfortable with doing it, then be my guest!
Check your temps. Your laptop is almost certainly thermal throttling.

If temps are ok, then it's ram most probably. 8 GB is the minimum for gaming these days

Bang on. The I7 9750h is a hot potatoe, an throttles at 90c+ like crazy. Dropping back often to anywhere from 3.4-3.6ghz sometimes, to allow CPU to cool down. I had to undervolt and replace thermal paste to get good temps on my HP Omen (I7-9750h+GTX1660ti).

Again, right on for the ram. A lot of gaming laptops come with 8gb in the basic config, and it really hampers FPS, with horrible stuttering. Changing it up to 16gb will alleviate that problem immediately.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and dotas1
GTA V stutters every couple of minutes where CPU usage drops from 23% (which is already terrible) to 3% which is even worse. GPU usage is contantly 0.1%. When the game is running fine i can get up to 60 fps, but when the cpu usage drops, I get around 2fps.

laptop specs:
GTX 1650
Intel core i7-9750H
8 GB ram
and i run the game on my SSD!

What make/model is your laptop? Does it come with performance software? You might check power profiles too.

Its definitely thermal throttling, anyway to fix this?
You can undervolt CPU and GPU which will definitely reduce the temps, clean thoroughly the laptop from dust, make sure it has plenty of space underneath for fresh air to be able to cool it and also a stand with fans (cooling pad) would also make a difference, depending on the quality of the stand.

Edit: Forgot to mention changing the thermal paste but that is something that is almost always done by a repair shop when it comes to laptops. If you know how and are comfortable with doing it, then be my guest!

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution