[Help]GTX 970 Asus Strix Overclock stable at 110% power limit, but not at 120 with same OC settings?

Oct 8, 2018
Hello, I am having trouble overclocking my GTX 970 at 120% power limit using MSI Afterburner. I have had my GTX 970 overclocked at the values below for about 3 months now.

Core clock:+170 or 1486 MHz
Memory clock: +250 or 3758 MHz
Power limit:110%
Temp limit: 85

I tested the stability with 10 superposition runs in a row and hours of gaming and months of no crashing. Just recently this week, I tried increasing the power limit to 120% with all the same overclock settings listed above, and it will pass the superposition test just fine, but will black screen after 20 minutes of gaming. The temps on the graphics card recorded in the game and on MSI afterburner were only hitting 70c. The computer is only drawing 300W from the outlet, and the voltage is stable at the 12v, 5v, and 3.3V rails according to HWiNFO64. It does hit the 120% power limit during superposition and gaming. If anyone has any experience with this issue please let me know. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this.

System specs:
cpu: Ryzen 7 1700x OC@3.8 GHz 1.35v
cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
motherboard: MSI pro carbon x370
ram: 2x8 corsair vengeance @ 2933 MHz 1.35V
gpu: Asus Strix gtx 970 4gb
psu: EVGA G3 850W

Solution
I hear what oyu are saying, and it sounds like you are just pushing it too far. every card is different and its seems you have reached the limit of your card. you can't run it in a state that is unstable, if 110% is stable leave it there. unfortunately pushing the power limit up isn't just going to magically increase the clock speeds by this huge margin if any at all
I hear what oyu are saying, and it sounds like you are just pushing it too far. every card is different and its seems you have reached the limit of your card. you can't run it in a state that is unstable, if 110% is stable leave it there. unfortunately pushing the power limit up isn't just going to magically increase the clock speeds by this huge margin if any at all

Solution
Dec 31, 2018
mine is clocked higher than this and is fine, BUT every card is different.. also make a custom fan curve to keep it cool, mine is clocked alot higher than yours on both speeds and never goes about 68.