[SOLVED] [HELP] Hard Drive making noises when in use and also gets the read write stops for some reason.

Muhammad Moazzam

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
What happening is that when my HDD is in use (Reading/Writing) it turns off and on and makes these grinding noises you can hear in the video (when the copy process gets slow or almost goes down to zero).Also I have installed the Intel rapid storage utility which helps in telling the os to not disconnect the HDD because without this whenever the HDD makes these noises it just vanishes away from the file explorer and comes back just like a usb being unplugged and plugged in again and yes windows also show a notification telling local d is found or something like when u plug in the USB or external HDD. Btw It's not External HDD. Please help me if anyone has faced this issue or know why is this happening. Its been quite sometime with this issue(a year or more maybe) but these days it is now so frequent that my games (installed on HDD) lags or gets slow while loading maps or loading the rest of the world like in gta v.
Also what helped me so far and been helping me for that very long time but not this time is I used to unplug the sata Power cable from the HDD then I simply plugs in another one and the grinding noises stopped. But THEN EVENTUALLY they came back and then I changed the SATA POWER cable which comes from the psu and switch to another since psu has like 5 of those ports but I had assure that this wasn't the fault of those cables since they all are working just fine on my ssd (I once switched the sata power cable of ssd with hdd and vice versa).
This time i did it again but the case has been worse.
Could it be the HDD PCB itself that's causing the problem? or maybe the PSU is not delivering enough power (but how come ssd and a card like GTX 1060 are working fine with no performance drops). HDD sentinel picture is attached if someone thinks that the health of the hdd is bad...
Grinding noises: 00:16 00:30 00:45 01:06 01:17 01:29 01:42 (the frequency of this noise in the video) is like 15 secs more or less but It is sometimes just random)
PSU: Thermaltake lite 550 Watt
HDD: 1TB Seagate (st1000dm003-1sb102)
Other than this everything is working normal from the ssd (steam origin and other installed programs in SSD)

Google Drive Video Link

Solution
If your drive is acting fully, I would just replace it. Or keep using it till it dies and restore things from backup. You can try using another SATA cable or port also.

Muhammad Moazzam

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Yes this is what I was doing for the past 1 year. I might end up buying a 2 TB HDD even if it won't die because of the fact that it suddenly makes these noises and what bothers me is that there is more than 3 seconds of delay..
So for example If i m playing a game like GTA V when ever the noise occurs the games hangs until the HDD boots up again.
You mentioned to change the sata cables. I have already changed the power cable should i also change the cable which connects it to the motherboard?:

Yes try changing the data cable. It may not do anything but it's a cheap step to try to rule everything outside the drive out as an issue.