Question Help, have a problem with M.2 NVMe storage expansion

Jun 9, 2019
Hello everyone, I'd really appreciate some opinions here!
A few weeks ago I made a post asking for advice about using an empty DVD reader slot for an SSD storage expansion on my laptop.
I then realized I had an available M.2 NVMe slot so I decided to buy a card (1 TB) from Asgard, a seller I researched to be decent.

Fast forward, the card arrived today and I installed it. After formatting, everything was working great, I even managed to do some sweet speed tests before I broke it. I decided to clone my HDD drive on that card using the Macrium Reflect software from a guide online since I'm a newbie at this. The cloning stopped at about 9% (20 minutes later) it gave me an error saying something about "function incorrect/unavailable" (I can't recall well because I didn't think much of it then). I somehow figured out that the AHCI controller was to blame. Now here's the part where it does downhill... I was very tired and somehow managed to have the idea to select permanent deletion of the driver upon uninstall... so I was welcomed with a blue screen and a system restart after declining the reboot prompt. The repair screen turned on doing it's thing restoring previous point (didn't know that existed) and I managed to log on again, but with no sign of the new storage I installed... not in the device manager, not in the disk manager, not in BIOS, wasn't shown in cmd commands. Just gone.

I figured I should uninstall some other drivers (without permanently deleting anything), so I did with no results. For some reason at one point, among all of this meddling, Windows didn't load... (this is the moment when you're sure that I'm an idiot), it was giving me blue screens with boot loops. I spent hours trying to figure out how to reinstall windows through a bootable USB (success) since it wouldn't load. However, there was still no sign of the new storage expansion... I tried taking out the card and inspecting, no smells or scratches or weird shapes, just a brand new card. I also tried reinserting it multiple times. It's so bizarre, the alptop even recognized the card manufacturer in the BIOS after installing it for the first time, but now it just says "None".

Is it possible that I managed to corrupt the card somehow with the cloning attempt? It was working wonderfully before I decided to meddle with it. I've given up at this point, I'm hopeless about anything fixing it, but I just wanted to know why and how...
Thanks for the read and sorry for the wall of text! Any comment is appreciated, have a nice day (nicer than mine anyway)! I feel like I'll get back here for help again in no time with my amazing skills...

tl;dr
M.2 card was working fine, attempt at disk cloning, didn't work, attempt at fixing, blue screen and restart, didn't work, no M.2 card, broke windows (dumb me), reinstalled windows, still no M.2 card detected anywhere.

Jun 9, 2019
Model name of this M.2 NVMe drive?
What windows version? For example - windows 7 requires several hotfixes and nvme drivers to support NVME drives. There will be no support after clean install.

Can you show screenshots from Disk Management, Device Manager?

Asgard AN series M.2 NVMe SSD M.2/80 1TB
I have Windows 10, updated to the latest version.
Sure thing!
View: https://imgur.com/ldl0Rju

View: https://imgur.com/FBDazaA

At some point I thought it was a compatibility issue, but like I mentioned the BIOS recognized the SSD just fine at first try! It didn't do anything unusual (to my perception anyway) before I meddled with it. I read somewhere that I should remove my HDD drive and reinstall Windows with only the M.2 NVMe card plugged in, should I attempt it?

Device Manager - I wanted to see full picture (especially Storage Controllers section).
There should be either Standard NVM Express Controller (or Samsung NVMe Controller) listed there.

Did you install all the drivers for your laptop from manufacturer support web site? Especially - chipset drivers?

Jun 9, 2019
Device Manager - I wanted to see full picture (especially Storage Controllers section).
There should be either Standard NVM Express Controller (or Samsung NVMe Controller) listed there.

Did you install all the drivers for your laptop from manufacturer support web site? Especially - chipset drivers?

Here's the full pictures in order! View: https://imgur.com/a/Cz0K1Ya

There is no NVM controller, I don't know if there was any when the disk was working unfortunately. I'm also not sure how to install it manually but I'll research it!

As for the chipset drivers and other software, I had to manually install them before. Since I made a clean windows install I'll do it again! Thanks for the tip!

TRENDING THREADS