watsonk1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Hi, I am having problems with my new system build. I have gone through the entire checklist but no luck. I am hoping for some help outside this list. My new system is :

Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000w Dual Heatpipe Modular SLI PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz 2x3Mb Cache 45nm 1333FSB
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
HIS HD4850 1024MB DDR3 PCI-E X16 VIDEO CARD
GEIL 4096MB DDR2-1066 TWIN PACK PC-8500 240-PIN DDR2 RAM
GIGABYTE G POWER II PRO CPU COOLER

To cut a long story short the m/b has been sent back and tested ok. The power supply was taken to a computer shop and tested fine. My problem is I cannot get power to the m/b. The m/b has phase led lights on it for cpu loading but I cannot find out if these light up on POST as a check or not. I have no speaker in my new antec 182. I don't know how they expect user to troubleshoot with no speaker to check POST codes. I am at a loss as to what my problem is. As they both tested fine and I am trying to boot with initially psu and m/b only to see if power was getting through to the board. Added the CPU to bypass any fail safes the board might have trying to power up a cpuless board, nothing. Suggestions please.

ken

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Have you gone through this process as well?

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time. "

Also your board "should" come with a little miniature speaker to plug into it. If it does not, you can buy them for just a couple of bucks, and you should have one just for these kinds of problems, they look like this:
http://www.pcpartscollection.com/mosp.html

The speaker connection is grouped with the HDD LED, Power, Reset plugs on the board.
And, thekid's advice is very, very good. Always start a new build outside the case.
You will eliminate a lot of frustration later with a new build if you follow those steps.