HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
guy HELP ME!!!! AHHHHH *GOES CRAZY

I was installing 3.10 today and i thought hmm for the sake of being stupid i raise the core clock to 500. So guess what happens? okay it didn't burn, but it can't go into windows anymore, so i pulled out my R9600pro and then put my Ti4200 in then uninstalled power strip then put my R9600pro back in everything is okay now.... but i if i install any o/c stuff it goes all crazy again.... how can i reset my clock without using power strip. I've tried rage3d tweak and it freeze too.... for some reason.... i remember u can turn on the build in ATi o/c menu somehow...... how do u do that?

help guys and especially Grape cause he gave me the temptation to o/c like hell ;)

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
FX5700Ultra, the next Ti4200? seems so

OK, ok, BREATH.

So are you still crashing or is it OK now when you don't oc?

So by crash you mean it won't even enter Windows?

If so go through SAFE MODE, and you should be able to turn off all overclocking.

If you can get into Windows and it's all garbled (that happens to me more than not being able to get into windows), then try and remember the steps to get into the overclocking or add/remove program, you should be able to tell from the garble if you are in the right sections or not.

If you can provide a little more info that would be good. (did you ever use OMEGAs or DNAs? They leave their OC tools on your system).

Forget uninstalling powerstrip, or individual stuf use driver cleaner, clean EVERYTHING out, even get rid of the CAT 3.10 drivers. I think you may have F'd up the base reset to BIOS settings in your drivers, where the OC is now the default. This has happened to me a few times (although for me it happened at levels like 432/318 or 456/321). Freshen your system use drive cleaner first, that should do it. You can even try the Catalyst Uninstall program first which may be enough. Driver Cleaner should do it though.

<A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/" target="_new">Link to Driver+CAB cleaner @ DriverHeaven</A>

Keep us posted.

<b>** Important Hint for Others to Learn from THIS **</b> When testing an overclock DO NOT SET it to be the BOOT speed. It should revert to stock after a crash otherwise. Only once you've tested sucessfully (without ANY artifacts) should you set it as your boot speed.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah, I've done this a few times. I did it twice of my own doing with the Catalyst review (yeah surprisingly the CAT 3.0 doesn't like my R9600 [surprising since it was realeased what only 3 months before the R9600? :eek: ). Good thing I remembered where everything was, because I had to natigate my way to the add/remove and uninstall the ATI drivers. I found that to be a very scary/annoying experience. Thankfully now everything is backed up onto DVD-RAM so I have a stable restore point, so F'ups aren't such a big deal.

I also had a similar problem when I tried to pump the Aquamark3 scores I HAD a stable overclock at first until I pushed the CPU/FSB up too, and since I didn't let it cool, crashola). Wait 2 hrs restart, take off the overclock.

Ah the fun of going outside of the realm of stock. We have no one to blame but ourselves, or the people that <b>made</b> us do it. Sorry CoolS! :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Boot Safe mode
regedit
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Game Util\ATI Radeon Overclocker

Chage key "CurrentSettings" values to equal factory settings values

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
what's factory settings values?

okay i uninstalled power strip in safe mode and then i reboot, it works fine. Played like 30 min of Lineage 2. Then I installed rage 3d tweak, reboot then it starts to [-peep-] up again. then i went to safe mode and uninstalled rage 3d, its all working again. Now i'm uninstalled 3.10s then what do i do?

120% nVidia Fanboy
FX5700Ultra, the next Ti4200? seems so

dhlucke

Polypheme
<------ Hands squirrel a beer

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I DONT NEED YOUR PITY

*takes beer*

120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing. THE rule of thumb: 5mhz at once plz

The reason I waited (ok about 90 mins) was to ensure that EVERYTHING was cooled down (I don't have fans running inside while PC off). It's not necessary and 15 mins would likely do it, but I wanted to do some overclcoking again and see if I did damage, so I wanted a very cool start with no residual conducted heat or hot air pockets in my system.

Overly cautious granted, but I wanted to be sure, and I went off an ate and watched some TV, so it's not like I was waiting staring at my PC.

Just my way of making sure.

Ok if uninstalling/reinstalling the Catalysts doesn't work, then do a driver cleaner run. Then reinstall all. Stick with Rage3D for the first OC try, and stick to smaller levels. What's the speed that's crashing you now. If you're going back to 500, then that's the problem, stick with about 90% of what used to work as an overclock.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
okay everything's reinstalled now its fine with 3.10+ rage3d tweak..... now i always had this problem

if i play and 3d intensive games and i o/c (425/315) it'll work for a while then all of a sudden the monitor will go "out of scan range" then gabbled screen then VPU recovery kicks in...... this suck.... i can't play game if i o/c anyone know what happened?

120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing. THE rule of thumb: 5mhz at once plz

Now just a question (yes GW not for everyone :wink: ), is Fastwrites on?

OTherwise you may be stuck with a mediocre card. Check to see which one causes the crashing, core or memory (lower one or the other independantly). Could be that that item runs well for short burst, but long term it or heavy load it will crash it. I can run 3Dmark in a loop for the "stable" overclocks I list. The burst stuff is a little higher, but can cause problems. Crashman gets great short burst runs out of his memory, I tried that with mine, and anything over 373mhz causes serious problems during the end, especially massive overdraw of Aquamark3. I can only LOOP 3Dmark at 365mhz and below.

Check to see if Fastwrites is on, try it with it off.

<b>*NOTE*</b>I will stick in the forum 'til the end of the PATs/Colts game. Then I'm starting the Omega Run. So I'll look for a reply before logging off.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
damn fast write.... i'll try that out after exam.....

guys i'm out for the week

120% nVidia Fanboy

Guess so, well off to run some benchies. I was just trying to find a 'live' link tothe "Neutral" Drivers (like Omegas/DNDs) from Italy to add to the review/comparison, but all links are dead. I can get one for 3.8 Cats, but I want the 3.9 ones (V2.7.01), like the Omegas and DNAs in the review to have some parity. Hopefully the Omegas will let me run Vulpine. I'll hate having to add a new OGL benchmark and re-run a bunch of them.

I'll check in later tonight early tomorrow to upgrade and such.

Ciaola!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
hmm grape what speed do u run at for everyday gaming?

120% nVidia Fanboy

Just Finished 2 (Omega, then Omega + R3DTweak) runs (BTW, Philly Sux! I picked the right game to 'watch' and the right one to benchmark during, the game was so crap and fumble ridden I was done quicker than I tought). But both games were lightweight compared to what people expected, heck I thought the IND NE game would be much closer. But I did win a few bets at work. Suckers!

Anywhoo to answer your question I have 1 day-to-day speed, and that would be 456/321. I used to run at 432/318, but I thought What the hell I have ALOT more overhead on both so moving to the other (completely arbitrary) level should be fine too. I do have a Blowhole fan right overtop of the AGP slot blowing cold air right onto the card.

I usually also do a slight FSB OC to 137 (used to be 135).

Runs without problems.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
!@#$%^&*() i guess mine at 435/315 isn't too bad......are the 3.10 version of the Omega good or should i stick with the cat 3.10s?

120% nVidia Fanboy

The 3.10 Omegas seem to have done Ok, but no major improvement except that strange effext seen in Gunmetal. The Benchies are now updated. I'm going to load the Dec. VIA chipset drivers and see if that fixes the FastWrites issue. I doubt it though.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Post your Vulpine Mark numbers right here :smile:
1024x768, max quality, Aliasing & Aniso set to "aplication"
<A HREF="http://downloads.garyandnicole.net/Vulpine2.JPG" target="_new">http://downloads.garyandnicole.net/Vulpine2.JPG</A>

<b>I help because you suck</b>