Question [HELP] High End PC Random Stutters [Ryzen 7 7700X&4090]

Feb 19, 2023
Hello. So, recently I've bought 4090 and started having this weird issue: my games(not all) just started having random stutter which happens usually after 5/10 or so minutes of playing the game. I don't have any garbage software installed, and it's not a throttling issue as you can see my temps are fine in the video.
This happens in Apex Legends, Warzone 2.0, BF 2042. I didn't notice this stutter in Dying Light 2 and Hogwarts Legacy tho. Also, I don't know why&what is the reason, but after reinstalling Windows it only drops to 291 FPS, when it used to drop to 270 from 300. Same goes if FPS is locked: drops to 140, used to drop to 135 or lower.
Example 1:
View: https://youtu.be/uCJ_Y9BNSMM

Example 2:
View: https://youtu.be/zBN4Ib7mniE

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 7700X
Asus ROG STRIX 4090
Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E
32GB DDR5 6000Mhz CL32 Kingston Fury Renegade
2x M.2 SSD
1x SATA 3 SSD
1x SATA 3 HDD
Be Quiet 1200W Platinum PSU
ALL games are installed on an SSD.

I've tried literally everyhing:
  • Freshly installing Windows 10 (Didn't try 11, but I doubt it will help)
  • Disabling fTPM in BIOS
  • Updating BIOS/Nvidia Driver/Chipset drivers to the latest versions
  • Disabling D.O.C.P in BIOS
  • Disabling V-sync/G-sync in NVCP
  • Disabling HPET in Windows' settings
  • HAGS On/Off
  • Playing Apex on DX11 and DX12
  • Disabling Xbox Game DVR
  • Disabling MSI Afterburner and using FPS Monitor
  • Removing GeForce Experience
  • Setting High Performance mode in Windows and NVCP

Honestly, I don't know what to do at this point, I'm willing to pay via PayPal for someone who can help me to fix this damn problem.

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
With theses high end cards make sure the drivers are up-to-date. I use
GeForce experience to keep the GPU drivers updated.

And

Check the cpu themals see if it's getting to hot and slowing down to protect itself.

Feb 19, 2023
With theses high end cards make sure the drivers are up-to-date. I use
GeForce experience to keep the GPU drivers updated.

And

Check the cpu themals see if it's getting to hot and slowing down to protect itself.

Drivers are up to date. It's not thermal throttling, you can clearly see that in the video.

Feb 21, 2023
Hi man! Hope you have, a good day!

I have the same problem as yours. 1 to 1.

The processor can be overclocked up to 6.
RAM is overclocked up to 6400.
I also did all the stress tests.
Checked the socket.
I updated BIOS for different versions.
Reinstalled, drivers, Windows. I did everything from 0.
I personally have this problem after replacing the processor.
The processor temperature is not more than 70. I play 2k, 144 hz.
The graphic card is loaded at 70-90%, everything is as it should.
Checked RAM, and did all stress tests. Turned on and turned off the settings in the panel of Nvidia.

May come across the idea of 4090 drivers. But I don't think this is a graphic card. Since I have such problems after replacing i7 13700K to i9 13900K.

On i7 13700k, everything worked perfectly! Immediately after the replacement, the lags began;(

If you solved your problem, or have found a solution. Please reply. Many thanks! And good luck to you too!

My build.

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS MASTER Intel Z790
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2x16GB)/DDR5/6400MHz/CL32
Intel Core i9 13900k
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Samsung 990 PRO 1TB NVMe PCIe 4
Corsair HX1200 V2 / 1200W / 80+ Platina
MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G DLSS 3

Feb 19, 2023
Hi man! Hope you have, a good day!

I have the same problem as yours. 1 to 1.

The processor can be overclocked up to 6.
RAM is overclocked up to 6400.
I also did all the stress tests.
Checked the socket.
I updated BIOS for different versions.
Reinstalled, drivers, Windows. I did everything from 0.
I personally have this problem after replacing the processor.
The processor temperature is not more than 70. I play 2k, 144 hz.
The graphic card is loaded at 70-90%, everything is as it should.
Checked RAM, and did all stress tests. Turned on and turned off the settings in the panel of Nvidia.

May come across the idea of 4090 drivers. But I don't think this is a graphic card. Since I have such problems after replacing i7 13700K to i9 13900K.

On i7 13700k, everything worked perfectly! Immediately after the replacement, the lags began;(

If you solved your problem, or have found a solution. Please reply. Many thanks! And good luck to you too!

My build.

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS MASTER Intel Z790
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2x16GB)/DDR5/6400MHz/CL32
Intel Core i9 13900k
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Samsung 990 PRO 1TB NVMe PCIe 4
Corsair HX1200 V2 / 1200W / 80+ Platina
MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G DLSS 3

Hello! I'm starting to think that this might me related to 4090's drivers because IF I recall correctly, I didn't have stutters like this in WZ 2.0 on the same CPU but with 3080.

Also, have you tried installing Windows 11?

Some of them - yes. Not even close to 100%. Moreover, I don't game on HDD, I just use it to store data.

SSD’s slow down when over 80-85% full. Just a guess but if you can clear some space it might be a good thing to try.

As for HDD, I have seen a failing HDD start hitting 100% and cause issues even when the program is not installed on it, I assume Windows was still communicating with it. It is free to try and it might be worth disconnecting the HDD’s just to see if it makes a difference.

Feb 19, 2023
SSD’s slow down when over 80-85% full. Just a guess but if you can clear some space it might be a good thing to try.

As for HDD, I have seen a failing HDD start hitting 100% and cause issues even when the program is not installed on it, I assume Windows was still communicating with it. It is free to try and it might be worth disconnecting the HDD’s just to see if it makes a difference.
My SSD is 6k Read/Write, so even if it's 80% full, the remaining speed should be pretty high anyway. Regarding HDD: I will try to disconnect it, but I doubt it'll help because I don't see any spikes in Task Manager while stutter happens. Worth a try anyway.

Feb 21, 2023
Hello! I'm starting to think that this might me related to 4090's drivers because IF I recall correctly, I didn't have stutters like this in WZ 2.0 on the same CPU but with 3080.

Also, have you tried installing Windows 11?
Personally, I had lags when I replaced the processor. So I played from it. But I also tried to completely remove the 4090's drivers using third part programs. Tested with Windows 10, 11. The computer is new, it is not a week old. Nothing helps.

Feb 19, 2023
Personally, I had lags when I replaced the processor. So I played from it. But I also tried to completely remove the 4090's drivers using third part programs. Tested with Windows 10, 11. The computer is new, it is not a week old. Nothing helps.
:/

Btw, have you tried playing with ILSC standby cleaner?

Feb 19, 2023
Have you tried the other BIOS on the graphics card? Does this happen in all games? Does the stutter happen at a fixed interval or is it intermittent? Do you have a microcenter nearby?
I haven't, using the latest BIOS. Not all. Intermittent, also depends on a game, in BF2042 it stutters once in 40 minutes or so. I don't have microcenter in Ukraine.

I haven't, using the latest BIOS. Not all. Intermittent, also depends on a game, in BF2042 it stutters once in 40 minutes or so. I don't have microcenter in Ukraine.
I see. I would try the second BIOS for the GPU to see if it makes a difference at all. There should be a physical switch on the graphics card itself. Flip this switch when the PC is powered off and then start the PC. Are you getting these stutters when in the games you are playing there is a lot of loading of assets in the area? Usually these kinds of micro-stutters happed when the CPU gets spiked and cannot draw the scene for the graphics card before rendering it. Sometimes loading in a decent amount of assets from the storage for the game is enough to cause stutters.

Feb 19, 2023
I see. I would try the second BIOS for the GPU to see if it makes a difference at all. Are you getting these stutters when in the games you are playing there is a lot of loading of assets in the area? Usually these kinds of micro-stutters happed when the CPU gets spiked and cannot draw the scene for the graphics card before rendering it. Sometimes loading in a decent amount of assets from the storage for the game is enough to cause stutters.
There aren't much assets in Apex's testing grounds, it can happen even if I'm standing still.

Feb 19, 2023
Do you have G-sync enabled? What monitor do you have specifically? Have you tried latencymon? Latencymon can sometimes give a clue as to what is going on. Check my last post again I edited it.
I do. XG240R. Latencymon doesn't really show anything unusual: Highest reported DPC routine execution time (µs): 409,190 (nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 528.49 , NVIDIA Corporation)

Feb 19, 2023
Do you have G-sync enabled? What monitor do you have specifically? Have you tried latencymon? Latencymon can sometimes give a clue as to what is going on. Check my last post again I edited it.
LatencyMon 1 Hour: View: https://imgur.com/a/YV9WsrT

I re-run the test, stutter happens every 13 or 15 minutes for some reason.

Also, notice how CPU usage dips when it stutters:
Examples(1 run)
1 -
View: https://youtu.be/zbtB508eiJE

2 -
View: https://youtu.be/xQP34xSozMc

3 -
View: https://youtu.be/StMApMBJAmE

Feb 22, 2023
Hello i am having the same issues but I can’t open any games without them crashing and I’m getting random black screens as well. Here is my hardware info:
Graphics card: 4070 ti
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x
PSU: 850 watt gold certified
Ram: 16gb ddr5 Corsair vengeance rgb pro
ssd: wd 2tb
motherboard: Aorus b650 pro gaming wifi
aio: Corsair h150 elite

Feb 19, 2023
Hello i am having the same issues but I can’t open any games without them crashing and I’m getting random black screens as well. Here is my hardware info:
Graphics card: 4070 ti
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x
PSU: 850 watt gold certified
Ram: 16gb ddr5 Corsair vengeance rgb pro
ssd: wd 2tb
motherboard: Aorus b650 pro gaming wifi
aio: Corsair h150 elite

Open Event Viewer in Windows > Windows Logs > System. Now, are there any red errors that say nvlddmkm.sys ?

Feb 19, 2023
Sorry I was at work but yes there are 1,218 errors and every other one says that code.
RMA your GPU. I've seen posts on Reddit with that error code and the only thing that helped was either older drivers or returning the gpu and getting a new one. In your case, you can't really revert back to older drivers, so just RMA it, your store will replace it with the new one.