[help] Home Server Setup

Josh_7

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
Hi, I bought a HP G1610T Microserver Gen8 and 2 seagate 500GB HDD to set up Centos server.

The problem I'm having is that I'm confused about how to install it, I loaded Centos onto a memory stick loaded up the server it then ran me through the install making select HDD and what not, and it all seemed to work fine, but then i reboot and it did nothing it didn't load up the OS and i checked the boot order and it all seems fine.

I was wondering if i need to use the HP software on the server to set up the OS?

I look around online and a few videos have been using the internal USB drive as the server, is this what I'm meant to do, one usb to install and the other for it to install on?

I haven't changed any of the bios or hp intelligent provisioning setting or anything.

If some one could point me to a video or give me a step by step guide that would be amazing.

Thanks,

Solution
You might want to read this article about installing Linux on this server. Not CentOS, but the principles are the same. Note, in particular, the requirement for the boot disk to be connected to a particular controller:

https://www.linuxserver.io/index.php/2015/03/24/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-g1610t-setting-up-a-linux-home-server/
I am not fan of CentOS (or Redhat and derivaties, in general), but it seems that your installation did not create proper boot record (or put it on the "other" drive).

Repeat installation with just one drive connected. If this is your first touch with Linux, go with some "mainstream" distro like Ubuntu Server.

McHenryB

Admirable
You might want to read this article about installing Linux on this server. Not CentOS, but the principles are the same. Note, in particular, the requirement for the boot disk to be connected to a particular controller:

https://www.linuxserver.io/index.php/2015/03/24/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-g1610t-setting-up-a-linux-home-server/

Solution

Josh_7

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015

Yeah, i was recommended it but, I've installed on a space laptop not to much of a fan of it might end up going back to ubuntu I've used that a little and at least got that to work.

Josh_7

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015

Woo followed that and and just changed the ubuntu with centos and it worked cheers