[SOLVED] Help! How to connect 2 Asus routers by wifi as repeaters ?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello
My AC86u is connected to the modem via wifi and is set as repeater.
I received my AC66u b1 today, I want to use it as wifi receiver for my PC desktop (lan). I tried to set it also as repeater by using the AC86u 5g signal, all went well and the AC66u rebooted, unfortunately the Internet is not working on this router.
It's saying it's repeating the other router but not its Internet!!
No Internet nor on lan nor wifi
What's the solution?

Solution
Did you mean the AC86c router instead of modem?

The modem with DHCP disabled no longer has any network functions beyond serving as an interface between your ISP and router.

So the modem does not need have or be assigned an IP address.

You may find the following links helpful:

https://www.avast.com/c-ip-address-public-vs-private

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

I, for example, limit the router's allowed DHCP IP address range to just the number of installed DHCP IP devices plus a couple of extras DHCP IP for guests. When we had large family gatherings I would increase the allowed DHCP IP address range. But never the full available range.

As for 192.168.0.1 you do not need that. If...

Ralston18

Titan
Is the AC86u set up as a router or a repeater? If the latter then where is the router?

Or is the modem actually a modem/router? Make and model?

Connectivity line diagram:

ISP ---- (coax, fiber, DSL) ---> Modem ----> [WAN port] AC86u router <~~~~ wireless ~~~~> AC66u b1 [LAN Port] ---- ethernet cable ---> PC desktop

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

FYI:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036082/

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Is the AC86u set up as a router or a repeater? If the latter then where is the router?

Or is the modem actually a modem/router? Make and model?

Connectivity line diagram:

ISP ---- (coax, fiber, DSL) ---> Modem ----> [WAN port] AC86u router <~~~~ wireless ~~~~> AC66u b1 [LAN Port] ---- ethernet cable ---> PC desktop

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

FYI:

ISP ---- (coax, fiber, DSL) ---> Modem ----> [Wifi] AC86u router as repeater <~~~~ wireless ~~~~> AC66u b1 [LAN Port] ---- ethernet cable ---> PC desktop

Ralston18

Titan
You need to have a router.

Unless the modem is also serving as a router. Make and model modem?

The AC86u as a router serves both wired and wireless devices.

AC66u as repeater:

Most likely (if the modem is just a modem) you will need to enable DHCP on the AC86u.

This router?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/E15867_RT-AC86U_UM_v4_WEB.pdf

DHCP - Page 67.

Reference Page 114. Use a browser to log directly into the router's admin pages to make changes.

If you have not changed the default admin and password values then you should do so immediately.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
You need to have a router.

Unless the modem is also serving as a router. Make and model modem?

The AC86u as a router serves both wired and wireless devices.

AC66u as repeater:

Most likely (if the modem is just a modem) you will need to enable DHCP on the AC86u.

This router?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/E15867_RT-AC86U_UM_v4_WEB.pdf

DHCP - Page 67.

Reference Page 114. Use a browser to log directly into the router's admin pages to make changes.

If you have not changed the default admin and password values then you should do so immediately.

The modem has Wifi, it's a nokia fiber modem given by the ISP, model G-120W-F
I should enable dhcp on the Nokia or AC86u?

Ralston18

Titan
So you are assigning or otherwise leaving the network router functions to the Nokia modem and relegating the AC86u as just a wireless repeater.

Certainly an option.

My thought is that using the modem as just a modem and using the AC86u as the network router (DHCP) will provide more functional administrative control over the network. The AC86u will still serve both wired and wireless network devices as it intended to do in a router configuration.

More specifically with the modem as a modem, you would configure the AC86u as a router at 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and all network devices would use 192.168.1.1 as the network router/gateway to obtain a DHCP IP address within whatever range you choose.

And you would also establish static IP addresses for those network devices requiring a static IP (e.g., repeaters, access points, NAS, printer). Again you can establish those static IP address on the router as necessary. Just ensure that the static IP addresses are outside of the router's allowed DHCP IP address range and reserved for any given device via the devices' MAC.

Reactions: Jeff_120

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
So you are assigning or otherwise leaving the network router functions to the Nokia modem and relegating the AC86u as just a wireless repeater.

Certainly an option.

My thought is that using the modem as just a modem and using the AC86u as the network router (DHCP) will provide more functional administrative control over the network. The AC86u will still serve both wired and wireless network devices as it intended to do in a router configuration.

More specifically with the modem as a modem, you would configure the AC86u as a router at 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and all network devices would use 192.168.1.1 as the network router/gateway to obtain a DHCP IP address within whatever range you choose.

And you would also establish static IP addresses for those network devices requiring a static IP (e.g., repeaters, access points, NAS, printer). Again you can establish those static IP address on the router as necessary. Just ensure that the static IP addresses are outside of the router's allowed DHCP IP address range and reserved for any given device via the devices' MAC.

I tested the network coverage of the ac86u close to the modem to see if I can get enough speed on the ac66u, unfortunately the signal was too weak to let the ac86u there and plug the ethernet cable on the modem to transform the ac86u into a roiter.
So I tried again to connect the ac66u to the ac86u both as repeaters, this time using static ip.... It kinda worked
I mean Lan could get full speed of 125mb/s, the repeated 5g 65mb/s... But the new 2.4 ssid didn't get Internet, go figures!!
About dns1 and dns2 of the ac66u static ip, I set 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.254 which is the ips of the modem
There is definitely something wrong

Here the static ip settings I used:
Screenshot2021091818.jpg

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Provided that I have followed correctly, you set up the AC66u with a static IP of 192.168.1.75

However, the default Gateway should be the AC86c router (as a router and not as a repeater) at 192.168.1.1 if that is indeed the IP address that the router is set at.

The modem (with its' router/DHCP functions disabled) does not need an IP address from your network router.

FYI ("Big Picture look"):

Diagram

Diagram 2

Note: If you access the router's admin pages you should be able to find some sort of network map showing connected devices.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Provided that I have followed correctly, you set up the AC66u with a static IP of 192.168.1.75

However, the default Gateway should be the AC86c router (as a router and not as a repeater) at 192.168.1.1 if that is indeed the IP address that the router is set at.

The modem (with its' router/DHCP functions disabled) does not need an IP address from your network router.

FYI ("Big Picture look"):

Diagram

Diagram 2

Note: If you access the router's admin pages you should be able to find some sort of network map showing connected devices.

I tried today to put the ac86u as the main router by connecting near the modem by cable, unfortunately nor 5g nor 2.4 could reach the ac66u
So back to the previous scenario, I could make it work but it's unstable, sometimes the lan works but not the wifi, sonetimes one or 2 smartphones won't get Internet or an ip
And yeah the 2.4g ssid is dull, tried on my s21 ultra as well as my sony android tv, internet won't pass on 2.4g

Ralston18

Titan
If it is all working, even if intermittently, then the configuration is correct. That is a plus!

Unfortunately it appears that there are other interferring factors: environmental (walls, furniture, appliances, etc.) and perhaps congestion (neighboring wireless networks) involved.

Remember that within the frequencies you also can chose wireless channels. Experiment a bit. Try different channels.

= = = =

Sometimes just moving a wireless network device a small distance can make a difference. Likewise for example, if you are using a USB wireless network adapter simply using a USB extension cable to move the adapter up and about (away from just some USB slot in the back of the computer) can make a difference.

Or if using a wireless PCIe adapter - maybe adding an antenna extension could improve reception and, more importantly transmission.

And start thinking about other options: powerline network adapters for example.

Hopefully, as the situation is becoming clearer, there will be other ideas and suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
No harm in trying.

I know of a wireless network situation where the "neat" person continually (at least orginally) kept straightening up the router antennas so the antennas would all be vertical. Wireless became quite problematic after that was done. Once a couple of the antennas were "angled out" and left that way - all was well.

Likewise using USB extension cable to relocate a wireless USB adapter up and away from the back of a compter can make a difference. Depending on circumstances and location just a couple of feet can improve reception and transmission.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
No harm in trying.

I know of a wireless network situation where the "neat" person continually (at least orginally) kept straightening up the router antennas so the antennas would all be vertical. Wireless became quite problematic after that was done. Once a couple of the antennas were "angled out" and left that way - all was well.

Likewise using USB extension cable to relocate a wireless USB adapter up and away from the back of a compter can make a difference. Depending on circumstances and location just a couple of feet can improve reception and transmission.

I am setting up manual ip for my devices connected to the 2nd repeater or else it's a lotery, sometimes it works flawlessly sometimes it gives ip error, I wonder if I set a static ip of 192.168.0.1 for my 1st repeater if it will fix the ip conflicts without setting manual ip for every single smartphone.
So can I put it as 192.168.0.1 or it will not work as the dhcp of the modem is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254?

Edit : O tried it, it simply doesn't work.
Tomorrow I will try again to put the ac86u as router mesh and move as much as I can the ac66u to receive its signal, this time I will also disable the wifi from the modem, would it boost slightly the asis wifi?

Also is the ac57u v3 mesh compatible? If yes the max speed of the ac86u as router of 280mb/s will decrease by 2 on each node if I add the ac57u to the party and build a mesh network?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Did you mean the AC86c router instead of modem?

The modem with DHCP disabled no longer has any network functions beyond serving as an interface between your ISP and router.

So the modem does not need have or be assigned an IP address.

You may find the following links helpful:

https://www.avast.com/c-ip-address-public-vs-private

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

I, for example, limit the router's allowed DHCP IP address range to just the number of installed DHCP IP devices plus a couple of extras DHCP IP for guests. When we had large family gatherings I would increase the allowed DHCP IP address range. But never the full available range.

As for 192.168.0.1 you do not need that. If the router is set at 192.168.1.1 all network devices should be configured to look for that router/gateway to obtain a DHCP IP address. Again the modem is not and should not be involved in that process.

Background information:

https://www.cloudns.net/blog/dhcp-server/

For more detail:

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/ccna-study-guide/how-dhcp-works-explained-with-examples.html

As for mesh - I will need to defer to those who use mesh and can actually attest one way or another to the real world pros and cons. (Versus ads and marketing.)

Some products use a very broad meaning of the word "compatible".

Solution

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
I finally got it to work with the AC86u as router mesh on modem (cable), and the AC66u as mesh node.
A friend came with an electric drill and did a hole between my room and the hallway, so I could pass an ethernet cable between my PC and the ac66. Add to that this time I shut down the modem's wifi... Bingo the mesh network wirked like a charm.
Now I have 280mb/s on my PC and 170mb/s on the ac66 wifi which is excellent for me.
It even resolved the last dead spot in the house
The only thing is that sometimes (twice already) the ac86u decides from its own to stop mesh with the ac66u, I had to click on the mesh icon to re-enable it.

Sorry I missed this thread, but in my experience doing with with 2 Asus AC86u routers. The routers had to be in the same room. I tried to do it far away in the rooms I wanted them, but ultimately they needed to be right next to each other when you set them up. Not sure why that was, but that was the only way I could get them set up. Once everything is set up, you can move the repeater to the other room you wanted. Also, to connect them in mesh, you have to do it with wifi first, then once setup you can attach the ethernet cable.

Last edited:

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Thanks yes
Everything was working flawlessly but now Internet is disconnected on the ac86u!!
I rebooted it as well as ac66 no joy!
More strangely is that torrent download is working as well as if I use vpn I can surf again web pages
Could it be that I forgot to disable the modem dhcp?
If so how to access the modem settings now from the asus network?