Help... how to identify whether I've got a PC100 512MB or ..

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I've got a memory module that was sold to me as a 256MB DRAM, however it's
exhibiting the same behaviour as a previous 512MB module I had purchased -
namely I only see 128MB's of memory. I do however, have a 256MB memory
module in the same machine, so it's hardware does support such a capacity,
simlpy not these chips.

The only thing I can reliably provide are the markings on the chips, it's a
double sided DRAM board - with 9 SAMSUN 043 K4280432B-TC1H chips per side.
It's supposidly a PC100-256MB memory module, Registered ECC memory, but
again, all I see is 128MB, if I install a similar 256MB module from Compaq,
that works fine. (Motherboard is an Asus P2B.. and also I'm trying the same
on a Compaq Proliant 1600).

Any help appreciated,

Regards

Steve

Trent

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:48:57 +0900 "Steve"
<news_svaardt@hotmail_NOSPAM_.com> wrote in Message id:
<4263acbe$0$79463$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>:

>I've got a memory module that was sold to me as a 256MB DRAM, however it's
>exhibiting the same behaviour as a previous 512MB module I had purchased -
>namely I only see 128MB's of memory. I do however, have a 256MB memory
>module in the same machine, so it's hardware does support such a capacity,
>simlpy not these chips.
>

>The only thing I can reliably provide are the markings on the chips, it's a
>double sided DRAM board - with 9 SAMSUN 043 K4280432B-TC1H chips per side.
>It's supposidly a PC100-256MB memory module, Registered ECC memory, but
>again, all I see is 128MB, if I install a similar 256MB module from Compaq,
>that works fine. (Motherboard is an Asus P2B.. and also I'm trying the same
>on a Compaq Proliant 1600).

That motherboard has an Intel BX chipset. Therefore, it only supports 16MB
devices. Look for 256MB DIMMS that have 16 or 18 (if registered) chips on
them.

keith

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:55:08 -0400, Trent wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:48:57 +0900 "Steve"
> <news_svaardt@hotmail_NOSPAM_.com> wrote in Message id:
> <4263acbe$0$79463$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>:
>
>>I've got a memory module that was sold to me as a 256MB DRAM, however it's
>>exhibiting the same behaviour as a previous 512MB module I had purchased -
>>namely I only see 128MB's of memory. I do however, have a 256MB memory
>>module in the same machine, so it's hardware does support such a capacity,
>>simlpy not these chips.
>>

>>The only thing I can reliably provide are the markings on the chips, it's a
>>double sided DRAM board - with 9 SAMSUN 043 K4280432B-TC1H chips per side.
>>It's supposidly a PC100-256MB memory module, Registered ECC memory, but
>>again, all I see is 128MB, if I install a similar 256MB module from Compaq,
>>that works fine. (Motherboard is an Asus P2B.. and also I'm trying the same
>>on a Compaq Proliant 1600).
>
> That motherboard has an Intel BX chipset. Therefore, it only supports 16MB
> devices. Look for 256MB DIMMS that have 16 or 18 (if registered) chips on
> them.

Don't you mean "18 if ECC"? Registered has nothign to do with this.

--
Keith

Steve wrote:
> I've got a memory module that was sold to me as a 256MB DRAM, however it's
> exhibiting the same behaviour as a previous 512MB module I had purchased -
> namely I only see 128MB's of memory. I do however, have a 256MB memory
> module in the same machine, so it's hardware does support such a capacity,
> simlpy not these chips.
>

> The only thing I can reliably provide are the markings on the chips, it's a
> double sided DRAM board - with 9 SAMSUN 043 K4280432B-TC1H chips per side.
> It's supposidly a PC100-256MB memory module, Registered ECC memory, but
> again, all I see is 128MB, if I install a similar 256MB module from Compaq,
> that works fine. (Motherboard is an Asus P2B.. and also I'm trying the same
> on a Compaq Proliant 1600).

..

K4S280432B-TC1H is a 32Mx4 chip. These aren't supported by the 440BX
chipset. Get a 256MB DIMM with 16Mx8 chips.

Trent

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:58:23 -0400 keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in Message
id: <pan.2005.04.20.01.58.22.270990@att.bizzzz>:

>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:55:08 -0400, Trent wrote:

[...]

>> That motherboard has an Intel BX chipset. Therefore, it only supports 16MB
>> devices. Look for 256MB DIMMS that have 16 or 18 (if registered) chips on
>> them.
>
>Don't you mean "18 if ECC"? Registered has nothign to do with this.

Yes, my mistake.