HELP how to share wireless between apartments, secure rout..

I'm clueless. What is the best hardware/software for sharing an
Internet connection between apartments that are only 50' apart? Is it
going to be secure? If not, how can we make it secure?

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Depends, what do you mean secure?
Get a WRouter and anable the encription WEP or WPA

"Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm clueless. What is the best hardware/software for sharing an
> Internet connection between apartments that are only 50' apart? Is it
> going to be secure? If not, how can we make it secure?

Also count the number of walls the signal must go through. If more than 3
walls forget it.

Any chance of running an ethernet cable outside - out and in a window?

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Dennis" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Depends, what do you mean secure?
> Get a WRouter and anable the encription WEP or WPA
>
> "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm clueless. What is the best hardware/software for sharing an
>> Internet connection between apartments that are only 50' apart? Is it
>> going to be secure? If not, how can we make it secure?

---

Also get one that you can set up to only allow authorized mac addresses.

I use the Netgear WGT624 - has a firewall, wep, access list - and you plug
your broadband modem straight into her.

"Dennis" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Depends, what do you mean secure?
> Get a WRouter and anable the encription WEP or WPA
>
> "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm clueless. What is the best hardware/software for sharing an
> > Internet connection between apartments that are only 50' apart? Is it
> > going to be secure? If not, how can we make it secure?

You can always hook up a better antenna.

"Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message
> Also count the number of walls the signal must go through. If more than 3
> walls forget it.
>
> Any chance of running an ethernet cable outside - out and in a window?
>
> --
> Bob Alston
>
> bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
> "Dennis" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Depends, what do you mean secure?
> > Get a WRouter and anable the encription WEP or WPA
> >
> > "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm clueless. What is the best hardware/software for sharing an
> >> Internet connection between apartments that are only 50' apart? Is it
> >> going to be secure? If not, how can we make it secure?
> >

> ---

You sure can. But too many walls and it still won't work.

How many walls have you successfully penetrated with what kind of antenna
and AP?

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Sybrand Strauss"
<sybrand2004_at_alienoverlords_dot_co_dot_za@ignorethis.com> wrote in
message news:ckju1o$ps2$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> You can always hook up a better antenna.
>
> "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Also count the number of walls the signal must go through. If more than
>> 3
>> walls forget it.
>>
>> Any chance of running an ethernet cable outside - out and in a window?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Alston
>>
>> bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
>> "Dennis" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Depends, what do you mean secure?
>> > Get a WRouter and anable the encription WEP or WPA
>> >
>> > "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> ---

---

First of all, you need to figure out how many walls will separate you
from the other apartment. The D-Link DI-624 wireless router has great
range and is a very good product. Like all routers, the DI-624 will
allow you to share an internet connection without the use of internet
connection sharing software. You may need a separate access point
strategically positioned between the apartments if there are too many
walls. For the most part though, the wireless router should suffice.

smogkiller2004@yahoo.com (Jack Blake) wrote in