Question HELP! HP Zbook G2 M.2 NGFF mSATA upgrade - space limitation and advice NEEDED PLEASE!

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Hello gang.

I want to customize a storage configuration for my Zbook G2 15''. Is the 2242 length from this peripheral adapter referencing the M+B key connector or the mSATA connector on the board? If I were to add any mSATA SSD it would have to be the smallest mSATA form factors correct? My only other option is to just buy a 2242 M.2 SSD and forget about the adapter. Those will cost me about $260 dollars brand new. However I was planning on buying a used 1TB Evo 860, but those are mSATA formats I'm confused how I would mount it to this adapter given the limited space from my Zbook mobo below. Any advice?

9232900-1.jpg

IMG-2859.jpg

The vacant spot on your motherboard is a regular M.2 slot. I'm pretty sure it'll be the M.2 2242 size, since the SanDisk below it is a M.2 2260 NGFF.

The 860 EVO does NOT use mSATA. It uses the SATA(600) protocol over a M.2 connector. I can not find whether the vacant slot supports both SATA and PCI-E SSDs. I cannot find product spefications. All I can find is that it may only support PCI-E 2.0 x2. Your laptop's manual should be able to tell you more. Maybe the HP website can help you out.