[SOLVED] Help! I accidentally put Ryzen 7 1700 pre applied thermal paste on my CPU socket

DeathHadArrived

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Help! I accidentally put Ryzen 7 1700 pre applied thermal paste on my CPU socket on my motherboard. Is my pc at high risk. I had been using my pc for like 3 months and it has been working bizarrely.

Solution
are you sure it is a good idea because I don't want to do something that is unnecessary and run the risk of ruining my pc even more
Yes, I'm sure because I did it successfully several times, just make sure it's dried up good. Isopropyl alcohol is used because it's a good solvent, evaporates fast and doesn't damage anything.

DeathHadArrived

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I cleaned most of it off but no i forgot to clean the rest. Is my motherboard or CPU toast. My cousin who is good at pcs who told me to just leave it alone but I am very skeptical about that especially because the pre applied thermal paste is conductive

Lavalord

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
If it works it works, but I would recommend cleaning it out. The thermal paste you used isn't conductive or you're cpu and socket would already be fried. Get some isopropyl alcohol, get some cotton buds and clean it out. Also it might be getting in the way of contact with some pins, resulting in slightly less performance, stability or overclocking ability

also, is that the reason my PC is freezing randomly and applications"not responding" because of the thermal paste in CPU socket.
Yes, that well may be the reason. Just rubbing it on top with alcohol may not be enough. I would take MB right out, hold it horizontally upside down and squirt some concentrated isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) with a syringe and small needle. Leave it a day or so to dry. I saved couple of MBs like that.