[SOLVED] Help! I accidentally turned my 1TB external hard drive into a 2.85MB mass storage device! Can this be fixed?

Sep 23, 2020
Hello there!

I have a WD Elements 1TB external hard drive with lots of important files in it. I was watching a youtube video on how to download Linux mint to a USB and I had no idea it had to be an ordinary empty USB. So I used balena.io/etcher/ to do the whole procedure and after flashing I realized my 1 TB external drive was converted to a 2.85MB mass storage device!!!
I cannot afford to lose all that data nor to buy another external hard drive! Can someone please help me??? I would really really appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!
Vassiliki

Solution
Windows Disk Management can initialise and format your drive (after you have recovered your data).

You can recover all your files for free if you are prepared to sit through multiple sessions of DMDE.
Sounds like you might be out of luck to be honest. Once you flashed that, you completely wiped and re-wrote the drive, no?
Not sure if you can turn it back into a 1TB drive.
Maybe there's a solution here:

Reactions: V.O.

USAFRet

Titan
"lots of important files "
"I cannot afford to lose all that data "

Why was there not a backup of this "important data"?

"nor to buy another external hard drive "
This is probably going to be required. Any potential data recovery will need to be recovered to a different physical drive.

Don't worry about making it a "1TB" again, until you've tried recovering the data.

Sep 23, 2020
Sounds like you might be out of luck to be honest. Once you flashed that, you completely wiped and re-wrote the drive, no?
Not sure if you can turn it back into a 1TB drive.
Maybe there's a solution here:
Thanks so much for your reply! Actually I didn't really have the time to do much, once I realized what I had just done cold sweat started coming... I'll see if that link helps! Thank you!

Sep 23, 2020

This is probably going to be required. Any potential data recovery will need to be recovered to a different physical drive.

Don't worry about making it a "1TB" again, until you've tried recovering the data.

Thank you very much for replying! That's a good question you asked. But you see, when you've been unemployed for the last seven years in Greece of 2020, well, you're not always able to buy all the stuff you would need to keep your data safe, you have to prioritize your expenses. That drive was a gift. Some of the data was backed up, but it was hundreds of GB in there. Thanks again🙂!!!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020

Do you think something like that would help?https://www.easeus.com/resource/res...easeus&lctid=692023&lcid=1600706046_3_3105955

Sep 23, 2020
Other option:
Autopsy
Thank you!!! Do you think it's easy to handle for a pc illiterate like me? Or would I need an expert?

Sep 23, 2020
Last edited:
This is how DMDE detects my 8TB Elements:

DMDE_Elements-8TB_Partitions.jpg