[SOLVED] HELP! I Built a New PC w/Re-Used PSU, SSD/Windows/Office and it is SLOW! Help me troubleshoot?

Feb 3, 2021
So a little backstory is needed...I built/upgraded my parents' dinosaur of a PC using the following configuration:

Tower/CaseRosewill ATX Case
CPUAMD Ryzen 3 3200G 4-Core Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics
MotherboardMSI X470 Gaming Plus Max ATX Motherboard
RAMSilicon Power XPOWER Turbine Gaming DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) 288-pin C16 1.35V UDIMM
Power SupplyAntec NE550M V2 550W ATX 12V (RE-USED)
Storage (Windows)2.5" SSD (RE-USED)
OSWindows 10 Pro (64-bit) and Office 2013 (RE-USED)

I believe I may know the issue, but I am hoping to gather your opinions as well.

I assembled the PC and everything went smoothly and it posted no problem. Then the fun began (and also where I think I screwed up). I went to install Windows, but instead it booted up to the version that had been running on their old PC via the re-used SSD. Instead of wiping the partition and reinstalling Windows and Office fresh (like a smart person), I called and talked to MS support and re-activated Windows/Office on the already installed version. I ran IObit's Driver Updater thinking that would fix any driver confusion, but I talked to my folks today and the PC is running even slower than their old one, ESPECIALLY internet functionality.

Am I correct to assume that wiping the SSD and re-installing Windows/Drivers/Software again fresh should fix things? I initialized the RAM to 3200 and ran updates and everything. I also read there should not be any BIOS issues between the MoBo and Ryzen 3 CPUs. It seems most logical to me that I screwed up and they are having driver issues, but please let me know what you think! My only other thought would be maybe the RAM compatibility? But I am a novice when it comes to building.

UPDATE Their old system was also built using Windows 64-bit on a very old Intel 32-bit processor. I had nothing to do with it lol

Solution
2 problems:

1. Just continuing on with the old OS. A Windows install is not nearly as modular as we all want. It may boot up, but then you have "issue". Just like this.
  2. "I ran IObit's Driver Updater " - Never ever. Don't do that.

Start over, with a full wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
2 problems:

1. Just continuing on with the old OS. A Windows install is not nearly as modular as we all want. It may boot up, but then you have "issue". Just like this.

Reactions: brentalanwilson
Solution
Feb 3, 2021
2 problems:

I figured that was likely the issue, but I'm glad you confirmed it for me.

As for IObit, can you explain why that is such a bad move? Is it not a reputable program?

USAFRet

Titan
I figured that was likely the issue, but I'm glad you confirmed it for me.

As for IObit, can you explain why that is such a bad move? Is it not a reputable program?
Not just "iobit", but any of the "driver updater" things.

They provide no benefit you can't do your self, and usually bring multiple problems.

Updating things when there is no need, just because they think it needs to happen. This often breaks things.

Reactions: brentalanwilson