Help! I can't boot back to 7 after installing xp on a logical drive. Can I try this?

truskijenkins

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I can't find a way to boot back to 7. I've tried using OSL2000 but bootmgr is missing. I've tried installing easy BCD on windows xp but I couldn't connect to the internet so the installation stopped.

Can I add a windows 7 entry to the windows XP boot file (by going to my computer, properties, advanced, startup and Recovery settings, edit).

Right now the only operating system in the file is XP which looks like this
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Can i add another line?
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows="Microsoft Windows 7" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I think my 7 is installed on the 2nd partition.
I'm just afraid. Will this work? Can this harm my computer? I just want to get back onto Windows 7.
Help! Please!

Solution

HN123

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Hi, truskijenkins.
Certainly, earler OS versions (like Windows XP) knows nothing about booting older OS versions (like Windows 7)...
To solve the problem with help of EasyBCD tool do following:
1. Install Net Framework 2.0 (for EasyBCD normal working)

Net Framework 2.0

2. Download (choose Non-commercial version for personal use and do simple registration)
and setup in full mode EasyBCD tool:

EasyBCD tool

3. Run the EasyBCD tool.
4. Press View Settings button to be sure that Windows XP is exists as Entry#1.
5. Press Add New Entry button and in Type: list control choose Windows Vista/7 and then
press Add Entry to add Windows 7 OS in Boot Menu.
6. Again press View Setting to be sure that the Windows 7 was added in Boot Menu as Entry#2.
7. Press Bootloader Setup button, in MBR Configuration Options set up option
Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR and then press Write MBR button to
rewrite MBR to Windows 7 MBR record.

Warning! Do not setup MBR back to Windows XP. You will not be able to setup at all.

Good luck!

Solution