[SOLVED] Help, I cut the wrong wire

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I tried to upgrade a pc from 2009. It didn't work but I thought it would, so I cut three wires from behind the DVD drive going to the old wireless card because they were in my way. I thought I would be able to pull them out of the case but I can't. And the DVD drive's Bay is riveted in. So now three cut wires are just hanging there. Is this a fire hazard or is it ok to put everything back and pretend it never happened?

Solution
Pictures would help.

If they are just antennae, no danger. Can't really see that being three wires though.

Also, what is on the other end of these wires? if you cut both ends, no big deal. Else just cover each individual wire with some electrical tape, if you can separate them. Blob of hot glue or silicon caulk would work as well. Just anything to keep them from touching metal.

You can also just drill out the rivets if you really have to, and replace them with nuts/bolts later.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pictures would help.

If they are just antennae, no danger. Can't really see that being three wires though.

Also, what is on the other end of these wires? if you cut both ends, no big deal. Else just cover each individual wire with some electrical tape, if you can separate them. Blob of hot glue or silicon caulk would work as well. Just anything to keep them from touching metal.

You can also just drill out the rivets if you really have to, and replace them with nuts/bolts later.

Solution

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I think they might have been antennas. Two were tied together through a loop in the wireless card like it was a key on a chain. Anyway, I do have electrical tape, you're brilliant, tyvm!