Help! I deleted my own user account

Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc

*How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)

Thank you!

--
deanna

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You can't readily restore the removed account but you should be able to copy
files to a new account. You don't explain what you mean by you can't get to
things. If there's an access denied issue see
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Firefox configuration and bookmarks are stored in
"X:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iustlxnt.default\"
It should work to copy the content of that folder to another user account.
--

"deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
> helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
> superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
> accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
> another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
> I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
> photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
>
> *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
> just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
> do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
> into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
> anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
> to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
>
> Thank you!
>

> --
> deanna

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Addendum - See also How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new
profile

"deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
> helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
> superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
> accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
> another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
> I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
> photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
>
> *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
> just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
> do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
> into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
> anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
> to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
>
> Thank you!
>

> --
> deanna

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You can't readily restore the removed account but you should be able to copy
files to a new account. You don't explain what you mean by you can't get to
things. If there's an access denied issue see
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Firefox configuration and bookmarks are stored in
"X:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iustlxnt.default\"
It should work to copy the content of that folder to another user account.
--

"deanna" <deanna.1qrqdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Stupidly, I have deleted my own user account on my laptop. (Somebody
> helping me connect to my office network for some reason set up several
> superfluous 'user accounts' in control panel; in deleting them i
> accidentally deleted my own.) I am currently using the computer under
> another Administrator account, when I look in "Documents and Settings"
> I can see that my documents are still there. But I can't get to all my
> photos that were in picasa, or any of my firefox settings, etc etc
>
> *How can I restore my own user account?* Is it possible at all???? I
> just want to put it back to how it was an hour ago!! *And if not, how
> do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings' folder
> into a new account?* (And while its not a 'windows xp' question, if
> anyone knows how to recover my Firefox settings, should i not be able
> to recover my user account, that would be very helpful as well.)
>
> Thank you!
>

> --
> deanna

>> How do I get all of the files I see in the 'Documents and Settings'
>> folder into a new account?*

Recovering Deleted Files:
http://aumha.org/a/recover.php

<quote>
So the first rule is: STOP USING THAT COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY! THIS MINUTE!
RIGHT NOW! Use another computer to get the recovery tool you will need.

</quote>

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User