Help!!! I flashed my plextor cd-rom into a burner

G

Hi everyone. Here is my problem. I accidentally flashed my cd-rom into a burner. I have a plextor 40x and a plextor 8X20 (imation transformed into a plextor drive). Well here is the deal, I forgot to disconnect the cd-rom from the scsi bus so when I flashed my burner...it flashed my cd-rom too. I was wondering if anyone out there know how to flash my cd-rom back. If you know how to do it, please let me know as soon as possible cause I am freaking out here. Any help is greatly appreciated. You can either respond to this thread or email me at mirconrice@yahoo.com Thanks for taking a look at this and hopefully you can help me out.

Mirconrice

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
You're screwed unless you can get ahold of the firmware, as well as a utility that is capable of flashing your drive. Typically, most regular CDROM drive manufacturer never make these types of applications available to the public, because there isn't any need. The story is different for CDR's, because of the many formats they support, as well as the many different types of software and media that regularly change.

My advice to you is to spend $50 and get yourself a NICE new CDROM drive -- and to make sure that you flash the right ID next time. You shouldn't have to disconnect the device from the SCSI bus, rather just specify the correct device. :) Anyway, I don't think you'll find any support on the matter; and if you do, you will have wasted much more effort than you should have, so just buy a new drive.

On a lighter note, if that drive you flashed suddenly has the capability to also BURN cd's, CALL ME!!! We could run a lucrative racket -- buying cheap CDROM drives, flashing them with a CDR's BIOS, and selling them off as Burners! :)

Good luck,

Joshua

G

I'd contact Plextor, their tech support is supposed to be quite good.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST