[SOLVED] Help I have a confusion whether to buy a ryzen 3500 6 thread or 2nd gen ryzen 5or 7 for it's multithreading

Mar 18, 2020
I want a processor which can install games faster so I believe multithread is the way to go but gen3 zen2 cores are more superior than gen2 Zen+
But 2nd gen ryzen have multithread at lower price point whereas 3rd gen cost more
Since these processors can be seen at a similar price range which one should I go for
I want to know wether multithread matters much

Solution
Skip the 3500 variants...

Get a 3600...

It's overall IPC advantages over 2000 series make it's 6c/12 almost as fast as the 2700X, even in multithreaded apps...
You can compare performance differences yourself in a variety of applications/benchmarks below....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxrM9AvT-4

If life revolves around CInebench, maybe the 2700X makes more sense to a few folks...especially if can be found on drastic sale prices.

kanewolf

Titan
I want a processor which can install games faster so I believe multithread is the way to go but gen3 zen2 cores are more superior than gen2 Zen+
But 2nd gen ryzen have multithread at lower price point whereas 3rd gen cost more
Since these processors can be seen at a similar price range which one should I go for
I want to know wether multithread matters much
Installation is a one time thing. Performance playing should be your emphasis. That is the day-to-day situation.

Mar 18, 2020
Yes I know performance is the main concern when gaming
But I need some multithread perfomance other than gaming for editing and other purposes
All I want to know is whether 3rd gen zen2 processor is more superior than a 2nd gen multithread processor in this scenario

Are you shopping in the US, or another region?
Can you list the specific models at specific models you are considering at the specific price points available in your region? That way, we can give you better advice.

From what you've told us so far... Speaking generally and assuming price-parity:
1) If I had to choose between a Ryzen 5 3500 (6 core 6 thread) and Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core 12 thread) I would usually take the older 12 thread. We are already seeing situations where 6 threads can become an issue.

2) OTOH: If I had to choose between a Ryzen 5 3600 (6 core 12 thread) and Ryzen 7 2700 (8 core 16 thread), I'd take the newer 6 core in most situations. The better IPC and higher clock speed of the 3600 draw it pretty close to the 2700 in thread heavy workloads, while it's straight up faster for anything that isn't pushing all 8 cores of the 2700 to their max.

I would take 2700X over 3500 anytime.
16 threads vs 6 threads, its no brainer especially because you are going to multitask, encode videos/photos and stream.
I totally agree if, in fact, the 3500 and 2700X are priced similarly. We need the prices to make an informed recommendation.

For example: in the US the cheapest 2700X I can find is $280. While the 3600 is $175 and you can get a Zen+ 1600AF for $100. Against those, the 2700X makes very little sense IMHO.

I totally agree if, in fact, the 3500 and 2700X are priced similarly. We need the prices to make an informed recommendation.

For example: in the US the cheapest 2700X I can find is $280. While the 3600 is $175 and you can get a Zen+ 1600AF for $100. Against those, the 2700X makes very little sense IMHO.
Seriously? 280$ for a 2700X is theft. They used to be <160$US last time I checked on Amazon and Micro Center.
Micro Center has it right now for 160$US if you purchase a motherboard, 180$US without:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-prism-cooler

Last edited:
You can't have a better deal than a 2700X for 160$US right now unless you fish in the used market.

Did prices jump because of Coronavirus??
Good question, I don't know! I was surprised too. But PCpartpicker can't even price the 2700 or 2700x for us right now, and both Newegg and Amazon have the 2700x at $285. That Microcentre pricing makes much more sense I agree. Good find.

Still, I come back to my original point... this is a perfect example of why we need current pricing in OP's region before we can make a good recommendation! Everything is a bit crazy right now.

Reactions: Zizo007
Mar 18, 2020
Are you shopping in the US, or another region?
Can you list the specific models at specific models you are considering at the specific price points available in your region? That way, we can give you better advice.

From what you've told us so far... Speaking generally and assuming price-parity:
1) If I had to choose between a Ryzen 5 3500 (6 core 6 thread) and Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core 12 thread) I would usually take the older 12 thread. We are already seeing situations where 6 threads can become an issue.

2) OTOH: If I had to choose between a Ryzen 5 3600 (6 core 12 thread) and Ryzen 7 2700 (8 core 16 thread), I'd take the newer 6 core in most situations. The better IPC and higher clock speed of the 3600 draw it pretty close to the 2700 in thread heavy workloads, while it's straight up faster for anything that isn't pushing all 8 cores of the 2700 to their max.
Yes I am talking about threads I know Zen 2 is more superior in everyway but what I want to know is whether 12 thread zen+ processor will have an upperhand on Zen 2 6 thread processor in terms of encoding and some other cpu intensive tasks
In raw core perfomance I know that Zen 2 is more powerful

Mar 18, 2020
And yes I am indeed taking consideration of price parity and if I choose 2700 processor what all will be it's downside other than zen2 architecture improvements and energy requirement
Since second gen ryzen 2700 is cheap in my locality and have 12 core upperhand

Yes I am talking about threads I know Zen 2 is more superior in everyway but what I want to know is whether 12 thread zen+ processor will have an upperhand on Zen 2 6 thread processor in terms of encoding and some other cpu intensive tasks
In raw core perfomance I know that Zen 2 is more powerful
For encoding 2700X is superior but in gaming like mdd said, 3600 is faster.

Mar 18, 2020
That's what I wanted to know but I have heard that games seems to utilize multithread these days so which one would you guys pick 3500 6c/6t or 2700 8c/16t when every scenarios are taken in consideration (gaming , editing , programming , app development etc)

That's what I wanted to know but I have heard that games seems to utilize multithread these days so which one would you guys pick 3500 6c/6t or 2700 8c/16t when every scenarios are taken in consideration (gaming , editing , programming , app development etc)
I would say 2700 overall:

3500 is significantly slower (-27%) than 2700 in multithread:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3500-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3588vs3240

Edit: A 2700X is even faster than that.

Last edited:
Skip the 3500 variants...

Get a 3600...

It's overall IPC advantages over 2000 series make it's 6c/12 almost as fast as the 2700X, even in multithreaded apps...
You can compare performance differences yourself in a variety of applications/benchmarks below....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxrM9AvT-4

If life revolves around CInebench, maybe the 2700X makes more sense to a few folks...especially if can be found on drastic sale prices.

Solution