Help, I have several problems with my Windows 7 computer and I need help formulating a plan of attack to solve them.

Porkman

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
My problem is this.

I have an HP Compaq Presario CQ42 notebook that I bought in 2012 running Windows 7. I have Avast Antivirus and have run Malwarebytes.

Lately, (the past 6 months) I've been having several issues.

1) The first one to appear was the refusal to wake up from hibernation/sleep. The computer will spool up the fan and the light will come on, but it will never wake up. I have to cut power and take out the battery to get it to restart. This is maddening because it only happens sometimes.

2) I have learned the full compendium of BSOD's. I have had IRql_not_less_or_equal crashes on both startup and in normal operation. I have had a Bad Pool Header Error. I have had a Systems Service Exception. All of this in just the last week. I've had it happen in a System restore.

3) I have had the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error. Sometimes it happens all the time, sometimes it goes for days without.

I can find answers to all of these problems in isolation, but I don't know if they are connected to a bigger issue. I want to know what would be the procedure for isolating and fixing these problems.

My question here is how to go about doing that. What should I try to tackle first and how?

Thanks so much!

UPDATE: I was also able to fix my graphic driver issues by downloading the latest off of HP. My computer is a compaq presario CQ42 301-AX (I wasn't able to get to that last part without taking out the battery.) I tried updating the BIOS but actually have the latest version already.) I'm fully backed up (though not with a proper windows backup or disk image both of those crash when tried, instead I've literally copied everything onto an external drive.)

So I made myself a memtest86 disk, the first time I ran it, the computer suicided after about 20 minutes. I broke down my laptop, cleaned out the fans and then ran memtest86 again. This time everything went fine.

I also gave myself the red laptop screen problem (though this one is just annoying and my computer had it once before, to fix it, I have to disconnect and reconnect the LCD) .

Windows startup repair doesn't work. It hasn't worked repeatedly, but the latest one I actually had the presence of mind to record the details.

"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer"

Problem event name: Startup repair offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 102
Problem Signature 05: Autofailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: No Root Cause
LocaleID: 1033

So I had also made a windows repair disk. (I don't have the original installation disk, windows came pre intstalled) and I tried to boot from it at startup.

I got the "Couldn't find Bootmgr" error. I got back into windows, checked the CD and Bootmanager is on there. I know it's not a problem with the CD drive because my memtest86 CD was able to run and boot just fine.

I'm really mystified as to why the windows repair disk isn't booting.

Solution
If you don't have any hardware issues then the quickest resolution would be a new install of win 7. Run chkdsk /f to fix your HDD of drive errors. Run memtest86 to test your ram for errors. http://www.memtest86.com/

If you aren't ready for a fresh install yet then you need to start addressing one issue at a time. Update your drivers for your PC from HP. For your failure to wake from sleep issue see this post from MS. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-your-computer-cannot-come-out-of/20ffb7a3-7f0c-46f9-8516-c1e31b11e558

Try the hardware tests at a minimum and then decide if you want to try with the existing install or a want a fresh system. If you haven't done so since 2012 then now would...

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
If you don't have any hardware issues then the quickest resolution would be a new install of win 7. Run chkdsk /f to fix your HDD of drive errors. Run memtest86 to test your ram for errors. http://www.memtest86.com/

If you aren't ready for a fresh install yet then you need to start addressing one issue at a time. Update your drivers for your PC from HP. For your failure to wake from sleep issue see this post from MS. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-your-computer-cannot-come-out-of/20ffb7a3-7f0c-46f9-8516-c1e31b11e558

Try the hardware tests at a minimum and then decide if you want to try with the existing install or a want a fresh system. If you haven't done so since 2012 then now would be the perfect time for it.

Solution

Porkman

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
I was also able to fix my graphic driver issues by downloading the latest off of HP. My computer is a compaq presario CQ42 301-AX (I wasn't able to get to that last part without taking out the battery.) I tried updating the BIOS but actually have the latest version already.) I'm fully backed up (though not with a proper windows backup or disk image both of those crash when tried, instead I've literally copied everything onto an external drive.)

So I made myself a memtest86 disk, the first time I ran it, the computer suicided after about 20 minutes. I broke down my laptop, cleaned out the fans and then ran memtest86 again. This time everything went fine.

I also gave myself the red laptop screen problem (though this one is just annoying and my computer had it once before, to fix it, I have to disconnect and reconnect the LCD) .

Windows startup repair doesn't work. It hasn't worked repeatedly, but the latest one I actually had the presence of mind to record the details.

"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer"

Problem event name: Startup repair offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 102
Problem Signature 05: Autofailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: No Root Cause
LocaleID: 1033

So I had also made a windows repair disk. (I don't have the original installation disk, windows came pre intstalled) and I tried to boot from it at startup.

I got the "Couldn't find Bootmgr" error. I got back into windows, checked the CD and Bootmanager is on there. I know it's not a problem with the CD drive because my memtest86 CD was able to run and boot just fine.

I'm really mystified as to why the windows repair disk isn't booting.

(I'm tacking this on as an update to the original post as well.)