[SOLVED] Help! I ran out of PCI-E slots!

SuburbanViking

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I bought a PCI-E 1x USB Expansion for USB A and USB C. I failed to realize I am using all my PCI-E slots already. The purpose of the USB C is I need to plug a VR helmet into my computer that only uses USB C and I'm trying to find the solution that will degrade performance the least. Are there any good quality PCI-E x1 risers so I can have at least 1 more slot, possibly more to leave room for future additions?

Would I be much better off just finding an adapter? my goal is best performance, so I'm willing to do more work to achieve that, but if I literally won't notice the difference that changes the question to be what's the best quality USB A Male to USB C Female adapter I should use for something like VR? I have a USB C 3.1 to USB C 3.1 cable with a very convenient L shape to plug into the headset that I'm hoping to use.

Solution
If the VR headset only needs USB for USB data, then you should be fine plugging the headset's USB into whatever port on your motherboard is hosted on the CPU for the lowest possible latency using an A-to-C adapter and using USB2/3 hubs for whatever excess USB devices you have.

I don't do VR but I do have both USB2 and USB3 on my desk for convenience since my PC resides at the back of my desk for space-saving reasons.

SuburbanViking

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Well the idea was plug a riser that splits into multiple PCI-E x1 and then put the wireless and expansion card into that.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor

replacing the motherboard would not be ideal since it's brand new. I got this rig pre-packaged through a rewards program at my job so I didn't get a chance to customize it, but you know I got it basically for free so I can't really complain. Just trying to make it work for my needs.

Would I be much better off just finding an adapter?
Just Get USB type A to type C adapter.

type-a-to-type-c-adapter-usb-c-satechi-silver-894977.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
If the VR headset only needs USB for USB data, then you should be fine plugging the headset's USB into whatever port on your motherboard is hosted on the CPU for the lowest possible latency using an A-to-C adapter and using USB2/3 hubs for whatever excess USB devices you have.

I don't do VR but I do have both USB2 and USB3 on my desk for convenience since my PC resides at the back of my desk for space-saving reasons.

Solution

SuburbanViking

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

That would be ok I suppose. And I've read about a few cables that are ok for the data part. But some people are finding that the wrong cable setup leads to the device slowly draining battery when plugged into the computer. I want to ideally either keep it charge stable so it doesn't turn off in the middle of a game or to charge while plugged in.